Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280 BIOS update

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2004 10:46:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280 bought in 2002 in Finland. It has BIOS
version 1.6, and I noticed BIOS version 2.7 has been released long ago. It
works fine under WinXP Home, with SP2 RC2.

I noticed there is continuous-intermittent HDD access. I am not sure whether
the HDD, the OS or the toshiba HDD controller causes it, but I have been
advised to update the BIOS.

I downloaded the zip file and extracted the contents to a blank floppy as
said in the documentation. I rebooted and during boot-up I pressed the key
next to the spacebar, which caused floppy access, the small backlit LCD
displayed "BIOS update", the cooler fan spinned like mad, but nothing
appeared on the screen. I waited 5 minutes and rebooted the computer without
any BIOS update.

I tried a few times, even used a boot floppy with BIOS update files on it,
but nothing seems to work. Any idea ?

Lorenzo
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 11:11:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

It looks as if the bios update has corrupted itself, which is bad news
for you.
There are 3 possibilities that come to mind.
1 that it is still in Toshiba international warranty, Did you buy the
exrended warranty? after the 1st year? if you did you will be able to
get Toshiba to repair it.
2 that the bios chip is a plug in one and can be replaced from say a
broken or dropped identical model. It is possible to find one say via Ebay.
3 find a replacement motherboard if the bios chip is soldered thereon.

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280 bought in 2002 in Finland. It has BIOS
> version 1.6, and I noticed BIOS version 2.7 has been released long ago. It
> works fine under WinXP Home, with SP2 RC2.
>
> I noticed there is continuous-intermittent HDD access. I am not sure whether
> the HDD, the OS or the toshiba HDD controller causes it, but I have been
> advised to update the BIOS.
>
> I downloaded the zip file and extracted the contents to a blank floppy as
> said in the documentation. I rebooted and during boot-up I pressed the key
> next to the spacebar, which caused floppy access, the small backlit LCD
> displayed "BIOS update", the cooler fan spinned like mad, but nothing
> appeared on the screen. I waited 5 minutes and rebooted the computer without
> any BIOS update.
>
> I tried a few times, even used a boot floppy with BIOS update files on it,
> but nothing seems to work. Any idea ?
>
> Lorenzo

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 12:58:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Ted,

No worries, the computers works as before. What I meant is that nothing got
upgraded, the BIOS update seems to fail before it even starts...

Lorenzo

"ted.ffrater" <ted.ffrater@virgin.net> wrote in message
> It looks as if the bios update has corrupted itself, which is bad news for
> you.
> There are 3 possibilities that come to mind.
> 1 that it is still in Toshiba international warranty, Did you buy the
> exrended warranty? after the 1st year? if you did you will be able to get
> Toshiba to repair it.
> 2 that the bios chip is a plug in one and can be replaced from say a
> broken or dropped identical model. It is possible to find one say via
> Ebay.
> 3 find a replacement motherboard if the bios chip is soldered thereon.
>
> Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280 bought in 2002 in Finland. It has
>> BIOS version 1.6, and I noticed BIOS version 2.7 has been released long
>> ago. It works fine under WinXP Home, with SP2 RC2.
>>
>> I noticed there is continuous-intermittent HDD access. I am not sure
>> whether the HDD, the OS or the toshiba HDD controller causes it, but I
>> have been advised to update the BIOS.
>>
>> I downloaded the zip file and extracted the contents to a blank floppy as
>> said in the documentation. I rebooted and during boot-up I pressed the
>> key next to the spacebar, which caused floppy access, the small backlit
>> LCD displayed "BIOS update", the cooler fan spinned like mad, but nothing
>> appeared on the screen. I waited 5 minutes and rebooted the computer
>> without any BIOS update.
>>
>> I tried a few times, even used a boot floppy with BIOS update files on
>> it, but nothing seems to work. Any idea ?
>>
>> Lorenzo

a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 12:58:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Your lucky!! Dont fix it if it aint broke!! is an old one . But most
applicable in this case. Leave well alone .
Talk to toshiba before you do anything else.
Glad its working as before!!.Good luck
Ted frater.

Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
> Ted,
>
> No worries, the computers works as before. What I meant is that nothing got
> upgraded, the BIOS update seems to fail before it even starts...
>
> Lorenzo
>

> "ted.ffrater" <ted.ffrater@virgin.net> wrote in message
>
>>It looks as if the bios update has corrupted itself, which is bad news for
>>you.
>> There are 3 possibilities that come to mind.
>>1 that it is still in Toshiba international warranty, Did you buy the
>>exrended warranty? after the 1st year? if you did you will be able to get
>>Toshiba to repair it.
>>2 that the bios chip is a plug in one and can be replaced from say a
>>broken or dropped identical model. It is possible to find one say via
>>Ebay.
>>3 find a replacement motherboard if the bios chip is soldered thereon.
>>
>>Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280 bought in 2002 in Finland. It has
>>>BIOS version 1.6, and I noticed BIOS version 2.7 has been released long
>>>ago. It works fine under WinXP Home, with SP2 RC2.
>>>
>>>I noticed there is continuous-intermittent HDD access. I am not sure
>>>whether the HDD, the OS or the toshiba HDD controller causes it, but I
>>>have been advised to update the BIOS.
>>>
>>>I downloaded the zip file and extracted the contents to a blank floppy as
>>>said in the documentation. I rebooted and during boot-up I pressed the
>>>key next to the spacebar, which caused floppy access, the small backlit
>>>LCD displayed "BIOS update", the cooler fan spinned like mad, but nothing
>>>appeared on the screen. I waited 5 minutes and rebooted the computer
>>>without any BIOS update.
>>>
>>>I tried a few times, even used a boot floppy with BIOS update files on
>>>it, but nothing seems to work. Any idea ?
>>>
>>>Lorenzo

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2004 11:27:25 PM

"ted.ffrater" <ted.ffrater@virgin.net> wrote in message news:<XKQDc.9$UA2.1@newsfe5-win>...
> Your lucky!! Dont fix it if it aint broke!! is an old one . But most
> applicable in this case. Leave well alone .
> Talk to toshiba before you do anything else.
> Glad its working as before!!.Good luck
> Ted frater.
>
> Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
> > Ted,
> >
> > No worries, the computers works as before. What I meant is that nothing got
> > upgraded, the BIOS update seems to fail before it even starts...
> >
> > Lorenzo
> >

> > "ted.ffrater" <ted.ffrater@virgin.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>It looks as if the bios update has corrupted itself, which is bad news for
> >>you.
> >> There are 3 possibilities that come to mind.
> >>1 that it is still in Toshiba international warranty, Did you buy the
> >>exrended warranty? after the 1st year? if you did you will be able to get
> >>Toshiba to repair it.
> >>2 that the bios chip is a plug in one and can be replaced from say a
> >>broken or dropped identical model. It is possible to find one say via
> >>Ebay.
> >>3 find a replacement motherboard if the bios chip is soldered thereon.

You will need to insert the disk that you created with the BIOS file
on it, but before you do the BIOS upgrade you need to upgrade the KBC,
to do this you hold down the TAB key and power the machine on. While
the upgrade is happening the machine should beep. Once the KBC is
upgraded the machine will power off. You then need to upgrade the BIOS
by holding down the '~'.
Hopefully this works for you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2004 12:30:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

--
Regards,
Chris

"Brenden" <brendenh@ggscorio.vic.edu.au> wrote in message
> "ted.ffrater" <ted.ffrater@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > Your lucky!! Dont fix it if it aint broke!! is an old one . But most
> > applicable in this case. Leave well alone .
> > Talk to toshiba before you do anything else.
> > Glad its working as before!!.Good luck
> > Ted frater.
> >
> > Lorenzo Sandini wrote:
> > > Ted,
> > >
> > > No worries, the computers works as before. What I meant is that
nothing got
> > > upgraded, the BIOS update seems to fail before it even starts...
> > >
> > > Lorenzo
> > >

> > > "ted.ffrater" <ted.ffrater@virgin.net> wrote in message

> You will need to insert the disk that you created with the BIOS file
> on it, but before you do the BIOS upgrade you need to upgrade the KBC,
> to do this you hold down the TAB key and power the machine on. While
> the upgrade is happening the machine should beep. Once the KBC is
> upgraded the machine will power off. You then need to upgrade the BIOS
> by holding down the '~'.

Huh? What! KBC!

The only thing needed to update the BIOS on this Toshiba model is insert
floppy with bios update on it. Boot machine holding down the F12 key (Read
the instructions given in the download from Toshiba) and away you go. A
breeze and you won't screw your bios. If not successful the old bios will be
intact.

--
Regards,
Chris