How to create a WiFi connection using a USB modem

kate_beckett

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hello,
i am using a USB modem for networking, but i want to connect my cell to the internet using this modem via WiFi. How can i setup up a WiFi connection in my house using this USB modem?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Hmm,
What type of modem is it? It is like a home modem, or a cellular modem like a 3G modem.
IF it is just a normal home modem, I would see if you ISP will give you a better one with an eathernet port. A USB only modem is terrible for connecting up multiple devices.
IF it is a cellular or 3G modem, I would look at a wireless router that will support it. Such as something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704072
Make sure you look at the compatibility list, for the router to make sure that it will support it.

Another option is to get a computer, plug the modem in to it, then share the connection to the computer's Ethernet card, then connect a wireless router in to that, via the router's WAN Port. Then you can connect wireless devices to the router.
I do this when I am stuck in a hotel with no internet, just get a little netbook and set it up. Does it great job but I wouldn't recommend this for long term solution.