Sign in with
Your question

PCIe 1.0 /1.1 with PCIe Card 2.0 question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2009 3:16:21 AM

I feel like a newb right now because I should know this but I have never worked on a system with PCI E ( most of my PC are workstations with AGP at my business) so I got a system in a trade for my old PC and my net book for my sister's computer.

ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
2GB of ram
Phenom X3 8850
360 GB hard drive.
300 Watt power
Vista 32 bit

now there are two problems that I have.

first I can find anyone on the web if the Motherboard is 1.0 /1.1 or 2.0 I believe is 2.0
so if it isn't 2.0 will this card work.
POWERCOLOR Radeon HD 4650 1GB

and my 2nd Question is.

Does this card take a 6 pin PCIe power cable, and If so where is it on my Motherboard/ card I can't find it anyone on the motherboard.

If anyone could help me out that would be great as I said I feel like a Newb because should know this from the A+ cert class I took last year.

anyways thanks
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 3:24:02 AM

According to the information you provided, it would seem your motherboard comes with a PCI-E 1.0 slot - the graphic card you mentioned is PCI-E 2.0 but it is backwards compatible with earlier versions of PCI-E. As for the 6 pin PCIe power cable, is it not on your motherboard - it's from your power supply. I'm guessing your 300watt PSU does not have such a cable and thus you will need to upgrade your power supply.
m
l
December 2, 2009 3:26:04 AM

I plan on doing that. any idea on a good one I'm trying to keep a budget of around 50 to 75 total.

also what I meant was where is the input for that cable. like where you plug it in to on the motherboard
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 3:42:28 AM

I would grab this if I were you - it's on sale - Ultra LSP650 for only 38$!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

ok, the PCI-E is the connector you need on your motherboard to connect your graphics card.
As for the 6pin PCI-E power cable - that's located on the graphics card - not your motherboard. Oh and I forgot to mention, I don't think the card you want requires a power connector cable but I would still advise upgrading your PSU just to be safe because a insufficient failing PSU could potentially take your whole system down.
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 3:50:47 AM

The 400CX provides plenty of power for a 4650 and is higher quality than the ultra which is rated totally wrong. 38A on the 12V rail provides up to 456W of power from the 12V rail, meaning it should be about a 500W PSU. Its also not 80+ certified so its not very efficient and hasnt necessarily passed a full load test. Granted a 4650 uses so little power it wont bring it anywhere near load, its still better to stick with high quality PSUs as they will put out less heat and cost you less in the long run.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 2, 2009 5:14:14 AM

coffeecoffee said:
I would grab this if I were you - it's on sale - Ultra LSP650 for only 38$!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

ok, the PCI-E is the connector you need on your motherboard to connect your graphics card.
As for the 6pin PCI-E power cable - that's located on the graphics card - not your motherboard. Oh and I forgot to mention, I don't think the card you want requires a power connector cable but I would still advise upgrading your PSU just to be safe because a insufficient failing PSU could potentially take your whole system down.

TO bad That sale will be gone before I can really spend the money. lol I have to order this sunday. Payroll goes out this Saturday, so I will know how much I can Really spend.
Im looking at these to items together also.

ASUS Radeon HD 4650 1GB low profile from what I have found on the web it works good with low PSU.

also for a PSU what do you think of this one.
APEX AL-D500EXP 500W
I know its low on Peripheral but out side of case fans there is not that much that uses those in side this machine.

and maybe this one.
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W

I also know those most of these are mid range parts. but if I was here at this place last year I would have no problem dropoing up to $500 on this PC. but this is what happens when you make the economy angry.
m
l
a c 192 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 5:27:24 PM

By today's standards, any PSU with a little voltage switch on it is garbage. A 4650 uses so little power though, that you probably won't need to upgrade. If you do, hunter's advice is sound. Newegg often has good deals on one or more of the Antec PSUs. They also typically have some low power (e.g. 350W) 80+ bronze Seasonics for less than $45. They don't have PCIE power connectors, but you won't need one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 5:33:00 PM

Aye, 4650/70 are both powered by the PCI-E slot, no connection to PSU needed. I have installed 4670s in old, 300w PSU systems, and they do just fine. I might recommend upgrading to a 4670 DDR3 version, if you have some room in your budget. The small price premium will pay a huge dividend in 3d performance. If you do need a new PSU, jtt283 already has great suggestions on how to go about that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 5:38:53 PM

1. PCIe 2.0 cards will indeed work in a PCIe 1.0/1.1 slot.

2. I don't think the 4650 requires any plug-in power; it draws all the power it needs from the PCIe slot. A 4650 designed for AGP requires plug-in power because AGP slots don't provide as much power on their own, but that's irrelevant here.

3. I doubt you need a new power supply at all. The 4650 really sips power like no other. I've got a 4650 running on one of my old machines with a 300W PSU and have never had any problems with that.

4. In my experience, you don't want to buy a card from Powercolor if you can help it. They're cheap, but they take "made in China" to a whole new level. Here's an ASUS card for the same price with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 5:41:27 PM

JofaMang said:
I might recommend upgrading to a 4670 DDR3 version, if you have some room in your budget. The small price premium will pay a huge dividend in 3d performance.

I would also second that suggestion. That's probably the best card you can fit in without a bigger power supply.

Well, the best one you can fit in without feeling nervous, anyway.
m
l
December 9, 2009 7:32:50 PM

well i got a 4670 1bg HIS but with my luck when I restored the PC to factory setting the recovery disks didn't work, and the partition that the recovery was on is also messed up so i have to wait three to four days before i can get the disk. at least ZT sent me the disk for free so win there
m
l
!