Need help with new build monster

I am building a new system which will consist from Asus Rampage x 79, I7 3960x, either Gforce 690 or 1 680 later followed by another 680, 2 *250gb SSD's Crucial or similar, Segate Baracuda 3tb, Crosair vengence 1600 4*4GB or 8*4 (need advice on that as don't think that I would be able to use 32gb fully, so it seems like wasted money), case NZXT 800 (or any other, I am open to suggestions), have not decided on the PSU as am not certain how much power will I need. And now for the hard part - how to keep it all cooled? Would it be possible to do it with fans or a cooling system would work better? Which parts to go for in terms of case, fans and CS? All suggestions will be appreciated. I already have 3960x and the Segate HDD. The Pc will be used for games, video and data editing. If my calculations are right, Gforce 690 consumes less power than 2*680's. If I will go for 690 I could instal another one later and have them both running on PCI 3.0 16*16, or because they have 2 GPU's each GPU will run on on 8? :heink:
If I am not misstaken I will ned aproximately 1200-1300 PSU? Can anyone comment on this?
4 answers Last reply
More about need build monster
  1. Was this meant to be posted in the watercooling section, or do you need it moved?
  2. Fill out the new build form in the new build section.

Hope you realize that you could go with a Ivy Bridge platform that would be 90% as fast at what your using it for (faster in gaming) for less than 1/3 the money you will spend on a X79 platform.
  3. geekapproved said:
    Fill out the new build form in the new build section.

Hope you realize that you could go with a Ivy Bridge platform that would be 90% as fast at what your using it for (faster in gaming) for less than 1/3 the money you will spend on a X79 platform.

I managed to get a good deal on the CPU
  4. Yeah, what's a deal? Even if it was half price I wouldn't even consider it, besides the mobo and memory are gonna cost you 3x what a s1155 system would.
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Overclocking Product