Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1 y old build, No POST, BIOS Code 88, Game Over?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 7:16:13 AM

Hello, unfortunately I'm coming for help.

Yesterday I powered down my computer, I hadn't done anything different for at least a few weeks. In the morning I turned it on, it started the fans for a few seconds then stopped then started again and stayed on. I looked at the LCD read out and it read 88 (no display BTW). I turned it off and used ezi-clear with no success, I quickly browsed the internet and didn't like what I read. I then switched it off at the PSU and went to school.

Getting home I started it up and watched the readout, it read C1, 26, etc. Man was I happy. But then it stayed at 7F, I shut it down and started it back up and it got to the same thing. I them tapped DEL and INSERT and it got to 75, I shut it down and reset the CMOS with the jumpers and started it back up. It then went back to the 88 (it also started and shutdown first), I shut down and started up yet it still stayed at the same ominous 88.

Also something weird is that previously when I would cut all power from the PC for a while, like if I was taking it somewhere, when started it would start up the fans then shutdown after a little while then start up properly. Just like it did with 88.

So I went back to browsing the internet, I found this nice thread http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/hardware/3203-dfi-bios-g... which explains the codes and some fixes. However I also find that 88 can be caused by GPUs, PSUs, RAM and a lot of stuff not just the Motherboard.

Is this the Motherboard? Or something else, I will continue to try things. I would love some help.

Thanks.

[EDIT]

Sorry forgot to say my build or motherboard, from my profile:
-Core 2 E7400
-DFI LanParty-LT X48 T2R
-Corsair Domminator DDR2 1066
-HIS Radeon HD4830
-Seagate 7200.12 500GB
-Antec 500W Earthwatts
-Thermaltake Armour+ MX

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 9:27:20 AM

Wolygon said:
Hello, unfortunately I'm coming for help.

Yesterday I powered down my computer, I hadn't done anything different for at least a few weeks. In the morning I turned it on, it started the fans for a few seconds then stopped then started again and stayed on. I looked at the LCD read out and it read 88 (no display BTW). I turned it off and used ezi-clear with no success, I quickly browsed the internet and didn't like what I read.

Is this what you browsed in the internet?
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/06/0...
I know it doesn't help lift the spirit but it seems a relevant info. If you love the DFI, don't buy it the next time...

Back to the problem:
One suggestion I can make is to unplug and plug again all cables & reseat the GPU and the RAMs ( if you haven't done so, yet). Some connections may have just gotten loose over time.

a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 10:14:26 AM

I didn't try much as I've been trying to find my invoice, which I did, I was happy =]. Yes I did see that but only after I made this thread, as I was looking at the other DFI posts. But I don't see how it is too relevant though? I do like my board however this was my first build so I don't really know much about that. I also have a spare 775 motherboard which I swapped out because it seemed to be playing up with OCing, it was used.

I tired turning it on just before I did it, to make sure it still wouldn't start. I had only reseated one RAM stick as the other you need to take the graphics card out. So I reseated the RAM, graphics card, CPU power, Motherboard power and SATA power connectors. I turned it on and it got to 7F, although I didn't wait long (maybe a 4 seconds), I then hit the F1 key as I saw that it apparently canceled the wait for keys or something (that was on the code thing I linked to). It then started up fine.

I'm not sure what I should do now though... rather happy at progress though. Who knows if the reseating did anything but I guess it did considering it got it to 7F at least...should I not shut it down, just sleep, or what? I don't know...if it is still bad at least I will be pretty convinced it is the Motherboard now.

Thanks so much for your help.

[EDIT]
I figured since I didn't really need the PC for now and could go without it, so I restarted it. It started straight up, =]. However I'm thinking that 7F appears only after a CMOS reset as it assumes you want to change some settings, but I still think it is supposed to display the motherboard screen. I'm pretty confident that it fixed the problem, hopefully. Thanks again.

[EDIT]
I'm even more convinced now. When in the BIOS it displayed 75 so that explains why it displayed that when I started up while pressing DEL, yet it still didn't display....**

BLUE SCREEN!!! (Memory Management) =[ Just after getting into windows

I started again after I reset some BIOS settings...... ahhh I just realised why. I set the RAM speed back to AUTO after being on 1066 and it booted up. But as I said before I just realized why, I didn't set the voltage back to 2.1V. I might be an idiot but I'm also happy =].

Anyway back to what I was talking about before that.....** I thought it didn't display when it was sitting at 7F after I reseated everything but it most likely was as I forgot to plug the DVI back in, which I did after I pressed F1 and got it to continue. So that means the reseating was the thing that fixed it, probably the graphics card aye? Anyway now I am convinced that the problem has been fixed, which makes me very happy.

I'm not sure if you could follow that =P. But it seems like it is fixed. Thank you so much for your help, I would never have thought of doing that as I didn't think that could really happen. Well my build is back operational =]. So glad I didn't have to RMA the board. Glad it was something non costly like that.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 10:34:55 AM

Really glad you fixed the problem! Your DFI motherboard was such a fancy one and it will be such a pity if it goes out on you now...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 10:46:09 AM

Best answer selected by the_punkinator.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 10:50:00 AM

Yes I am hoping to get another graphics card to Crossfire sometime, or some upgrade, maybe a Q9400. Glad I was able to fix this, now I have advanced my knowledge of problems which is quite bad as I haven't had much experience.

Thanks again.

[EDIT]
If the problem occurs (which it won't =]) I will post it here, but it seems fine. Thanks so much again.
m
l
!