HELP, problems with ReplayTV

My ReplayTV (5040 with 160g hd update) has started to act real funny.
First I heard strange sounds coming from the unit. Sounded like the
drive heads repeatly trying to access a spot on the disk. The TV shows
only the "PLEASE WAIT" message.
A soft boot (holding power button for 10 sec) did nothing, so I unpluged
the device, waited a minute and plugged it in again. This fixed the problem
the first time. However now, a couple of days later, it is happening again,
and nothing can get me past the "Please Wait" screen?
Does this mean that the HD is bad? are there any diagnostics I can run or
cleanup/fixup that can be done?

Thanks,
Mike Kamerman
kamerman@usa.net
4 answers Last reply
More about help problems replaytv

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:06:12 GMT, "Mike Kamerman" <kamerman@usa.net>
    wrote:

    >My ReplayTV (5040 with 160g hd update) has started to act real funny.
    >First I heard strange sounds coming from the unit. Sounded like the
    >drive heads repeatly trying to access a spot on the disk. The TV shows
    >only the "PLEASE WAIT" message.
    >A soft boot (holding power button for 10 sec) did nothing, so I unpluged
    >the device, waited a minute and plugged it in again. This fixed the problem
    >the first time. However now, a couple of days later, it is happening again,
    >and nothing can get me past the "Please Wait" screen?
    >Does this mean that the HD is bad? are there any diagnostics I can run or
    >cleanup/fixup that can be done?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mike Kamerman
    >kamerman@usa.net

    Sounds like a bad HD. You get that delay while the system is retrying.
    Hopefully, the software hasn't been corrupted.

    I had that (endless "please wait") once. It was a bad drive then.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid

    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message news:<ae15a09ppo2ag3sc4dus2i57sjv04nqglt@4ax.com>...
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:06:12 GMT, "Mike Kamerman" <kamerman@usa.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >My ReplayTV (5040 with 160g hd update) has started to act real funny.
    > >First I heard strange sounds coming from the unit. Sounded like the
    > >drive heads repeatly trying to access a spot on the disk. The TV shows
    > >only the "PLEASE WAIT" message.
    > >A soft boot (holding power button for 10 sec) did nothing, so I unpluged
    > >the device, waited a minute and plugged it in again. This fixed the problem
    > >the first time. However now, a couple of days later, it is happening again,
    > >and nothing can get me past the "Please Wait" screen?
    > >Does this mean that the HD is bad? are there any diagnostics I can run or
    > >cleanup/fixup that can be done?
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Mike Kamerman
    > >kamerman@usa.net

    It's a bad HDD. If you get another one, use a Maxtor. I've repair
    several and the Western Digital will not last.

    > Sounds like a bad HD. You get that delay while the system is retrying.
    > Hopefully, the software hasn't been corrupted.
    >
    > I had that (endless "please wait") once. It was a bad drive then.

    Why will the Western Digital not last? Just curious, as I always use
    Western Digital's "JB" (3-yr warranty) drives in computers.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Dan" <dpoolecet@msn.com> wrote in message

    > It's a bad HDD. If you get another one, use a Maxtor. I've repair
    > several and the Western Digital will not last.

    Fixed my problem...
    Thanks to information from "Mikeyboy", I unplugged the
    ethernet cable from my 5040 (connects it to my hub), and
    re-booted. System came up quickly and with no apparent
    aftereffects. Re-connected the cable, and was able to contact
    replaytv and update my guides.
    According to "Mikeyboy" the boot was probably hung on a
    perceived (real or not) network error and was in a continual
    retry loop.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    "Mike Kamerman" <kamerman@usa.net> wrote in message
    > My ReplayTV (5040 with 160g hd update) has started to act real funny.
    > First I heard strange sounds coming from the unit. Sounded like the
    > drive heads repeatly trying to access a spot on the disk. The TV shows
    > only the "PLEASE WAIT" message.
    > A soft boot (holding power button for 10 sec) did nothing, so I unpluged
    > the device, waited a minute and plugged it in again. This fixed the
    problem
    > the first time. However now, a couple of days later, it is happening
    again,
    > and nothing can get me past the "Please Wait" screen?
    > Does this mean that the HD is bad? are there any diagnostics I can run or
    > cleanup/fixup that can be done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike Kamerman
    > kamerman@usa.net