Add/Remove Programs Doesn't Work After Removing AOL

hunt

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If I have posted this article to any of the incorrect groups, I apologize.
Also, if this problem has been recently handled, I could not find it in any
search on Google News (maybe I didn't use the correct keywords), I apologize.

Machine: Toshiba Satellite P25-S670, Pentium4 3.2GHz, 512MB RAM, XP-Media
Edition, SP-1.

Problem: AOL came installed on machine. Through Control Panel>Add/Remove
Programs, AOL was removed. Now, Add/Remove brings up screen, and begins survey
of installed programs, but none ever appear. HDD activity progresses for about
30 sec, then ceases, and no installed programs appear.

In Safe Mode, Add/Remove works fine, just not in Normal mode.

I've Restarted and Shutdown/Started several times, and the result in Add/
Remove is the same.

Any pointer on Registry entries that might be affecting Add/Remove, would also
be appreciated.

Help - TIA
Hunt

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Hunt,

Do you also have Auto-Cad installed as well? If so, see line 226 (right
hand side)

If not, more info:

Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

Add or Remove Edits: Lines 188, 208 (right hand side) and 323:

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Hunt" <noone@hunt.com> wrote in message
> If I have posted this article to any of the incorrect groups, I apologize.
> Also, if this problem has been recently handled, I could not find it in
> any
> search on Google News (maybe I didn't use the correct keywords), I
> apologize.
>
> Machine: Toshiba Satellite P25-S670, Pentium4 3.2GHz, 512MB RAM, XP-Media
> Edition, SP-1.
>
> Problem: AOL came installed on machine. Through Control Panel>Add/Remove
> Programs, AOL was removed. Now, Add/Remove brings up screen, and begins
> survey
> of installed programs, but none ever appear. HDD activity progresses for
> about
> 30 sec, then ceases, and no installed programs appear.
>
> In Safe Mode, Add/Remove works fine, just not in Normal mode.
>
> I've Restarted and Shutdown/Started several times, and the result in Add/
> Remove is the same.
>
> Any pointer on Registry entries that might be affecting Add/Remove, would
> also
> be appreciated.
>
> Help - TIA
> Hunt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The problem with AOHell is that the only true way to truly uninstall it is
to format the hard drive and install fresh.

In article <ek8aEIVmEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, kelly@mvps.org says...

>Hi Hunt,
>
>Do you also have Auto-Cad installed as well? If so, see line 226 (right
>hand side)
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
>If not, more info:
>
>Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove
>
>Add or Remove Edits: Lines 188, 208 (right hand side) and 323:
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
>--
>All the Best,
>Kelly
>
>Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
>2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
>Troubleshooting Windows XP
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
>Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
>

>"Hunt" <noone@hunt.com> wrote in message
>> If I have posted this article to any of the incorrect groups, I apologize.
>> Also, if this problem has been recently handled, I could not find it in
>> any
>> search on Google News (maybe I didn't use the correct keywords), I
>> apologize.
>>
>> Machine: Toshiba Satellite P25-S670, Pentium4 3.2GHz, 512MB RAM, XP-Media
>> Edition, SP-1.
>>
>> Problem: AOL came installed on machine. Through Control Panel>Add/Remove
>> Programs, AOL was removed. Now, Add/Remove brings up screen, and begins
>> survey
>> of installed programs, but none ever appear. HDD activity progresses for
>> about
>> 30 sec, then ceases, and no installed programs appear.
>>
>> In Safe Mode, Add/Remove works fine, just not in Normal mode.
>>
>> I've Restarted and Shutdown/Started several times, and the result in Add/
>> Remove is the same.
>>
>> Any pointer on Registry entries that might be affecting Add/Remove, would
>> also
>> be appreciated.
>>
>> Help - TIA
>> Hunt

Kelly,

Thank you for the URL's. As I do not have Auto-Cad, I'll concentrate on the
second two, and see what they can do for me. I appreciate the pointers.

If it gets down to doing a re-format, re-install on everything, I'll just
consider Add/Remove Programs useless in Normal Mode, and use it only in Safe
Mode. Because it works as expected there, I assume that there has to be a line
someplace in my user profile, that needs to be edited, or deleted, after
getting rid of AOL. Dang, I wish that computers would not come with this stuff
pre-installed, but I guess that folk like AOL pay a nice price to have every
machine that goes out the door. This is the first machine that I have ever
purchased, that wasn't custom built, and OH what a pile of garbage is
installed!

Again, I appreciate the response, and will get to work right now,
Hunt

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Most welcome, Hunt - I hear you and good luck!

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP