GPU FPS charts don't match my system

AsylumEscapee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I recently upgraded my pc with a BFG 275 gtx oc. The GPU charts on Tom's hardware show FPS on my card in Farcry 2 at my resolution being much higher than what I'm getting. Does this mean that my CPU is bottlenecking? I have an e8400 core duo with 2 gigs of ram. Just what exactly does Mr.Tom use to come up with these figures? Top of the line i7s to isolate the gpus? I searched the site but found no test system configuration.

I ask because I figured my E8400 would get along with a 275, but I don't see a big difference from my old 8800gt.

AsylumEscapee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Small followup. Standing in town right now. (1920x1200, 0AA, 0AF, Very High Quality) Getting 45fps, TH shows 65. I don't know how to access this "Small ranch" map they test on. 20 FPS is a big deal when playing on a bigger screen.

The performance in test conditions always will not match the conditions in real world use. Tests are a reference guide to how good a card, processor or RAM is, not something which you should take as a rule of thumb!

AsylumEscapee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I remember spending about what I spent on my 275 on my 8800gt... that was just for futureproofing. Now it's not even enough to run current games at high settings. Is it my CPU? Is a $700 system rebuild in order? Will an i7 give me 30+ fps? Or are all current games just that demanding? I know no one can tell me without a doubt. Sorry if I seem like I'm demanding very specific answers. Just opinions.

AsylumEscapee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008

Heh. Off the top of my head now:

2 gig 800 ram...um, corsair? XMS2? XPS2? something.

e8400 core duo.. I'm going to say intel.

275 GTX oc BFG. Upgraded from an 8800gt, rest in peace, best GPU I ever bought.

Intel crappy media series Mobo. I no longer care that the southbridge runs hot! LGA775 I think.

new 650w power supply, Brand? Antec, I think. It's the only brand they carry in stores.

HP 24" 1920x1200 Nice, but the top of the screen is darker than the bottom, once you notice it it drives you mad.

Old 300gig HD, Don't think it matters much.

Soundblaster Audigi, Adigy, Audigy... 2 ZS. Who buys a sound card anymore?

Huge dual firing sub woofer? You bet.

Plastic steering wheel! Racing sims are fun.

If you know anyone with the same type of RAM as yours, you can add it to your PC and check if there is any performance improvements. If you are into OC, you can also try Oc'ing the processor and see if the performance improves. Just a few pointers, before you think about an upgrade.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
its not his ram, I believe Toms use quad cores to test on games and FarCry 2 is one of the games that take advantage of the more cores. So some of the LOST FPS are because of your dual core, some may be because of only 2GB ram (but I doubt its big difference)

45FPS is not bad and believe me you will have hard time diferentiate between 45 and 60

between 30 and 45 may be , but over 45 its so smooth it doesnt matter

AsylumEscapee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I looked up gamespots benchmarks on Farcry 2. There's a huge difference between 1 and 2 gigs of RAM, but literally zero difference between 2 and 3. Besides, low ram makes a distinct stuttering effect I'm not getting. I don't mind 45fps when I use 1:1 scaling on my LCD, lower the resolution, and make the screen smaller, but on a bigger screen 45-60 fps is a very noticeble difference. I suppose Farcry 2 takes good advantage of 4 cpu cores, that's probably what this is about. Either way, I have no idea where this "2GB is not enough for even games 2 years ago" talk comes from. Company of Heroes could use more ram, every other game I've tried does okay RAM wise.

Can't OC on an Intel media board.

Thanks for the responses.