Windows Won't Boot After Installing Storage Drive

SammySosa

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello. I have a computer with an Intel dual-core processor, and an intel D975XBX2 mainboard. to this I have two Maxtor IDE drives with boot partition on master.

I recently installed a new Seagate SATA drive. The BIOS recognizes all drives. With the new drive installed, the computer will power up, but Win XP won't boot. If I disconnect the new SATA drive, Win XP boots up fine, no problem. The BIOS boot order is "CD drive, Hard drives, Ethernet, floppy". The BIOS hard drive boot order is "Maxtor drive, Maxtor drive, SATA drive"

Interestingly, with the new SATA drive connected, Win XP won't even boot from the official Win XP install CD.

Seagate tech support tells me the problem is with the Intel mainboard. Intel tech support suggested I use F10 during POST to select a specific boot drive. I did this, but Win XP continues to not boot.

Any ideas?

SammySosa

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks for your reply. The SATA HD has a jumper that switches from 3 gbps to 1.5 gbps transfer rate. The mobo specs claim to support 3 gbps transfer rates, so I have jumped it.