Sign in with
Your question

Critique my build proposal.

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2009 3:19:57 AM

I'll be making my first custom build in the coming months at a budget of $1,000-$1,300, for everyday use as well as high-end gaming. I'll be ordering parts soon, and probably using my 8800 until the 300 series is coughed up. I'd be appreciative of any feedback on my proposed build, suggestions, comments on functionality, etc.. I want a practical design that won't exceed my budget, but will remain competitive for a few years.

The below should run me about $1,250ish, granted that I can get Windows 7 for $29.99 through its promotional offer to students.

Updated#2 Case added:

Windows 7 64 bit
mid-range 300 series GeForce GPU
ASUS P7P55D Pro
Intel Core i5 750
Western Digital Caviar Black, 500GB
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
Lite-on Black SATA
Silverstone FT01

Choosing potential cases has been the most difficult part; I've needed something small on the outside, but big on the inside. =\

Aside from that, someone also suggested that for better performance I should keep my operating system on a master drive and use a slave drive for storage. Is there really a notable benefit to that? If so, is there a trick or any kind of 'how to' involved that I should know about beforehand in setting up two drives?
November 29, 2009 3:22:20 AM

Ps. I'll be fine with using my old speakers, monitor, mouse, and keyboard, so I needn't take any of that into account.
m
l
November 29, 2009 3:38:32 AM

There's no need to put the OS on a different drive unless you're getting a SSD, if you get a fast HDD such as the Spinpoint F3 500GB, which I would recommend over that WD Black.
Also, get this faster RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Then you could just get the P7P55D Pro.
I like the 300 Illusion.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2009 4:55:13 AM

jbakerlent said:
There's no need to put the OS on a different drive unless you're getting a SSD, if you get a fast HDD such as the Spinpoint F3 500GB, which I would recommend over that WD Black.
Also, get this faster RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Then you could just get the P7P55D Pro.
I like the 300 Illusion.

That's the spirit! You've saved me money and upped performance. Thanks.

But for my own future reference, I'd like to know what is it about the G.SKILL Ripjaws that allow me to use the P7P55D Pro, if that's what you meant.
m
l
November 29, 2009 7:11:31 AM

Oh, sorry for the confusion, I didn't intend to connect the new RAM to the cheaper Mobo. I should have said "Next..." There's just not much need to get the more expensive board.
m
l
November 29, 2009 7:12:58 AM

jbakerlent said:
Oh, sorry for the confusion, I didn't intend to connect the new RAM to the cheaper Mobo. I should have said "Next..." There's just not much need to get the more expensive board.

:)  Ah, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the help.
m
l
!