I7-3770K OC

Tags:
  • Intel
  • Processors
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 9, 2012 5:07:07 PM

Hello All.

Ive recently built a pc and wanted some advice for you guys as im new to overclocking these types of processors. My old computer had a Q6600 in.

Ive OC my processor to 4.3 in the bios by only changing the multiplier, i left everything else as it was. After running Prime 95 for 2 hours(CBA to wait longer as i wanted to play games), my CPU temp was 57degrees, Vcore read 1.294V and Core VID read 1.236V (CPU-Z). Everything went fine and none of the cores failed. Basically i want to know if this is ok? do i need to change the voltage for my processor in the bios? if so how do i do this?

PC Spec:
i7-3770K OC to 4.3GHz
8GB G-Skill 1600MHz Ram
ASUS Sabertooth MB
2 x AMD HD 7970 (Factory OC)
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Primary HD
1250 OCZ Gold Rated Modular PSU

I tried to upload a pic of my results but didnt know how to do it.

Thanks in advance for all your help

p.s. sorry if this has appeared twice, i tried to upload this before but it failled :S

More about : 3770k

a c 117 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
May 9, 2012 6:13:46 PM

Many will tell you to run P95 for minimum of 4 hours to ensure full system stability and some will say 24. Two hours in Prime95 going only to 57C is okay - doesn't prove full stability but as long as you don't BSOD while gaming (you shouldn't since gaming isn't nearly as CPU intensive as P95) I don't see any issues arising.
It is suggested that you set your CPU voltage manually since using automatic settings may overvolt the CPU in certain situations but again, you seem to be okay.
May 9, 2012 6:51:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow i will run P95 for longer, i just got impatient today. Ive since manually set the voltage to 1.2V and ran P95 for 1hr cause i was having my tea. Again it went fine. I will do a longer test tomorrow to see how it goes, but now the temp doesnt go above 50oc when runing P95.

My only concern is that now my Vcore voltage is always at 1.2V whereas before it would go lower when it was set to auto. is there any reason to be concerned about this? My Core VID in CPU-Z still drops to under 1V when my pc is idle.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 7:50:47 PM

I got 4.4GHz at just a hair under 60C on a 3570K/ASRock Z77 Extreme4 at auto voltage (my mobo only goes up to 1.19V on auto). You should be golden.
May 13, 2012 1:23:28 PM

hye dameon...i wanna get the processor, but wanna ask somthing, are the i7 3770k can accept the asus maximus iv X-z LGA1155 motherboard?? is it get any negative/postive effect on my motherboard??
May 14, 2012 6:01:46 PM

Hi. Ive had a quick look on the net and from i can see, that motherboard doesnt accept that processor. Other people on here might know more about that particular motherboard and be able to give you more accurate information. I dont want to accidently give you the wrong information.

The i7 3770K is a great processor and ive now got the voltage down to 1.13V running at 4.3GHz, and the temp doesnt go about 42C. So i am very happy with it and i can recomend it to you.
a c 117 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
May 14, 2012 6:16:22 PM

Dameon_Bananaman said:
Hi. Ive had a quick look on the net and from i can see, that motherboard doesnt accept that processor. Other people on here might know more about that particular motherboard and be able to give you more accurate information. I dont want to accidently give you the wrong information.

Actually it does, listed here on the Asus website
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABE...
You have to scroll down a bit on the CPU supported list to find it.