Does your GA-X58A-UD3R bios menu do this?

devt333

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I have an odd problem with GA-X58A-UD3R.

A particular option in BIOS behaves in a strange way, ESC doesn't work there, although it is listed as a command.
Ecs key works everywhere else in BIOS, though.

Can you check yours and let me know? This only takes one reboot. Thank you.

The option is "GSATA RAID Configuration" under "Integrated Peripherals".

I did try this without drives connected to Marvell controller, and with two 1TB Western Digital Black Drives (FALS), - same thing, "Esc" doesn't work either way.

If you have this MoBo, please try and let me know if it works for you.

Go to a BIOS option "GSATA RAID Configuration" under "Integrated Peripherals", and enter it.
It says on the bottom of the screen:

"Marvell RAID On-Chip Controller"
"Enter: Operation, F10: Exit\Save, Esc: Return"

Hit "Esc". (If Esc doesn't work, then change nothing and exit by hitting F10 (exit with saving).)

If you are able to exit that way, then my board is defective, let me know so I can return it to the store.

If you are not able to exit by hitting Escape key, then it is probably just a BIOS bug, and should be fixed in next BIOS update.

Also, did the entering and exiting of this option took a long time?
Were you able to browse other BIOS options after exiting from "GSATA RAID Configuration" ?

Thank You!

devt333

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
So, after exchanging endless emails and answering question about my setup which I have already answered in a submission form, I have asked Gigabyte Tech Support a question in a following Manner:

"Can you please test GA-X58A-UD3R in your lab and see if you have the same issue with the Marvell Controller BIOS menu?

If you have the same issue, then it's probably a BIOS bug, and I should expect it to be fixed in a future BIOS release.

If you have no issues that I have described, them my motherboard is defective and I should return it to the store before my 30 days expire to save you and I some RMA costs."

Got their reply:

"Dear Customer

We have tested the board here in our lab and had no issue entering either of the raid bios to setup the raid array.
If it's been purchased under 30 days and if within your vendor return period please contact them directly to further assist you

Thank you"

Finally, some clarity. Taking it for exchange tomorrow.

devt333

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
OK, exchanged at the store. This time, I got GA-X58A-UD3R (same), but Rev2.0.
Exactly same issue with bios. Everything else is working fine, just like on the first one.
Guess it just a little miss, someone forgot to write a handler for ESC key press event in that menu. Funny, that they didn't catch it in rev2.0. (Rev2.0 was already done when I told gigabyte about this bug). I guess they will let Marvell know to issue an update. I wonder if it will be a bios update or it will be in eprom chip on rev3.0 only?

Other thoughts:

Rev2.0 has fan headers located more sensibly. There are 6 headers (cpu, pwfan, nbfan, sys1, 2, 3). Rev 2.0 has three on the sata header side (rev1.0 had two there).

Rev2.0 has third internal usb header added for charging pods when comp is off or in deep sleep.

Rev2.0 has info leds repositioned slightly, but it is still very hard to tell what the hell is their message.

I loaded my saved ghost that I made for rev1.0, and everything started fine, except network adapters that got "#2" attached to them (big brother is still at it, tracking you down :)

BIOS boot times are about twice shorter on Rev2.0. That is nice. Literally flashing by, even hard to catch the screen you need.

This mobo (GA-X58A-UD3R) is soo heavy, be sure to think about that before you try to lift it casually!

clintonb1

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I own rev 1 and rev 2; both setups are exactly the same Intel 980x and 6GB of corsair memory.
The problem I am having is with the rev 2 board. It refuses to boot when I select profile 1 for my memory. I’m guessing there is a memory compatibility issue with the bios revision?? The board refuses to boot even when I manually set the memory parameters.
Rev 1 board has bios F5
Rev 2 board has bios FA
The memory I am using is the CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMG6GX3M3A1600C7