Can someone help me out with a i7 3820 OC?

gsans25

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Her overclockers,

I'm new to all this OC stuff.

Can someone help me start over clocking my CPU? I have installed CPU-Z to check stats. I'll list my system components to help you figure out my OC route.

System:

- Full water cool system (quad rad)
- Corsair 16GB Dominator at 2133
- Intel i7 3820 Quad
- Geforce GTX 690
- ASUS Rampage Formula IV
- 1200 Watt PSU

I appreciate all the help I can get as I dont wanna mess up anything.

I also ran a Heaven BEnchmark and got some good results from the GPU

Capture2.png

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Hello GSan,

So this would be a very, very rough outline. As each system is different and may handle certain frequencies better then others. The key to overclocking is patience. I'd suggest playing with each multiplier and frequency; raising each one until your system essentially rejects the frequency.

That way you know the max settings for each. After you've established the max; you alter the voltages. That way you can slightly increase or decrease to help maximize your overclock.

The results provided are for a Socket 1366 i7-920 that I currently have in my system. So keep in mind that my cpu requires more watts then yours; so I'd raise voltages delicately. But this hopefully gets you in the correct ball-park to tune.

Host-Clock Frequency: 210
Max Non-Turbo Multiplier: 20X (Try 21 as you'll have better L3 Cache or highest on available).
Intel Speed Step: Disabled
Intel Turbo Boost: Enabled
Turbo Boost: 110 A
Memory: 2100 mhz
Uncore Speed: 4200 mhz
PCI-E Bus: 120 mhz
Intel Quick Path Interconnect: 44X Multiplier
Intel Quick Path Interconnect: 9.24 GT/S
Memory Multiplier: 10X
Un-core Multiplier: 20X
tCL: 7
tRCD: 7
tRP: 7
tRAS: 16
tRRD: 4
tWR: 8
tRTP: 6
tFAW: 20
Memory Voltage: 1.5 (Max 1.66 Don't Exceed)
Core Voltage: 1.28750 (Max 1.4 Don't Exceed)
Uncore Voltage: 1.2 Volts (Max 1.35 Don't Exceed)
ICH: 1.10
IOH: 1.10
PLL: 1.88 (Can lower to 1.8 if you want)

You should be able to push it further then that, this should point you in right direction. If you intend to go over those voltages; post so we can view how it is all laid out. Like I said; each system is different. So you'll want to do individual raises until the system becomes unstable. So you have max numbers figured out.

Hope that helps.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

You can set it manually through the Bio's, or through Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility. Assuming your Asus board supports it; mine does. So I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Your running as an Administrator? You can't change any settings? What version of Asus Bios are you running?

Thanatos02

Honorable
May 12, 2012
My guess would be that because you've got a locked processor, Intel have disabled your GUI OC'ing. I'd also guess that, because you have a locked processor, you won't get much of an overclock out of it.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I've never encountered a processor that didn't allow some wiggle room; especially with an Asus board. But you may be correct. I know a lot of people have had success overclocking the 3820; your Rampage Board should have:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rampage-iv-extreme-x79-ftwFTW-overclocking,3177-3.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rampage-iv-extreme-x79-ftwFTW-overclocking,3177-4.html

Anyways... I'd try these to downloads:
Bios Flash: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Formula/websites/global/icons/dfPYUrrgoWVL4513.jpg
Asus Software Utility Package:
Version 1.02.26
Description ASUS AI Suite II V1.02.26 Install Program for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS Ai Charger+ V1.00.07 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS Update V1.03.04 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS DIGI+ Power Control V1.00.08 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS EPU V1.03.10 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS FAN Xpert V1.00.47 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS My Logo V1.02.03 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS Probe II V1.00.46 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS System Information V1.02.05 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS TurboV EVO V1.01.12 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
ASUS USB 3.0 Boost V1.02.02 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.

Try downloading the utility and flashing the Bios; though the 3820 isn't an unlocked CPU it should still allow overclocking. But if even that doesn't, Thanatos is probably correct.

gsans25

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hey extremely sorry for the delayed response! Ive been super busy with work n all, you know how it is..

Anyway, I tried another stupid method..

I deleted all my ASUS software and re installed from online database.. It looks a lot more different, when I open up the Suite 2, it gives me an option which says "CPU Level Up" I click on it and it gives me three options, 3.876, 3.952, and 4.028.

Si I give it a test drive, assuming this is safe because it's an "option" on the software. I started with 3.852 as you said to start low then increase as it becomes stable.

The computer restarts, when it comes back on, a message on the desktop pops up saying, CPU Level Up successful "4488MHz, 102.0 X 44 24%" I dont get what that means.. I check my comp specs with CPU-Z and it still says 3.6Ghz

ALSO, I tried going into BIOS, and I put the "CPU Level Up" option on AUTO (it was disabled) and the comp shuts off completely and doesnt turn on, i push the power button and the BIOS reads "press F1 to enter BIOS, overclocking failed".. So I go back to OG settings and comp turns on fine..

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
The computer restarts, when it comes back on, a message on the desktop pops up saying, CPU Level Up successful "4488MHz, 102.0 X 44 24%" I dont get what that means.. I check my comp specs with CPU-Z and it still says 3.6Ghz

Well, with Intel Speed Step enabled Windows will automatically detect. Which will detect the default frequency rather then the adjusted frequency. You'll have to disable the Intel Speed to reflect the non-stock frequency you've adjusted.

As far the numbers... It's a BClk Frequency of 102 mhz and a multiplier of 44. Which creates a 4.48 ghz frequency (with speed step that means when turbo activates that is it's frequency). Can you get a screenshot of your Bios?

Have you tried Flashing your Bios?

gsans25

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I have not tried flashing my BIOS, I feel like its really confusing unless someone can tell me how.. As for a screen shot of the BIOS, which screens would you want a shot of?

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Go to Asus web-site; find the latest Bios. Save it to a Flash-Drive. Then simply put it on a motherboard USB Port. Inside the Bio's you'll be able to boot into the Bio's Flash then select the Bio's File.

gsans25

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hey! So i finally got around to flashing my BIOS they way you told me to do so, using a USB and what not..

I went to the "CPU Level Up" screen and tried out 3.8 first, the computer reseted and nothing happened, the computer still reads 3.6..

I attached some pics to show you my system info

Capture2-1.png

Capture3.png

Capture-2.png

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I'm glad you were able to get yourself on the path to overclock. It won't show an increase in frequency until you disable "Intel Speed Step." That particular feature basically has your Operating System determine the frequency. Where without it enabled; it is set by the CPU. That will show you the increase.

If I'm not mistaken, otherwise it may have those burst speeds only when it does Turbo.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Let me back track a little bit.

When you Right-Click "Computer" and select properties, Windows will load a default screen with general information about your system. The section which allows you to run your Windows Experience test. You'll notice that your Operating System is reflecting a speed.

The Intel Speed Step feature allows your Operating System to indicate and or chose what frequency your machine is running out. Which usually has a majority of overclocking to occur when your machine goes into Turbo-Mode. If you wish your non-turbo frequency to be on all the time. You'll want to leave this disabled- With it disabled the Operating System does not chose your frequency. The Processor tells your Operating System what it is performing at.

Before overclocking you'll want to follow this:
- Disable Intel Speed Step
- Disable CxE / CE1

After you've done that then you'll want to adjust your multipliers. You'll want to ensure you keep proper ratios; at least to start. It can cause instability. It will involve a lot of trial an error; max out an area before essentially fails. Once you've found the max without adjusting voltages. Now you'll increase / decrease to either attempt to boost it further or increase it's efficiency.

Earlier in the post I posted my build; it is older and requires 130 watts while yours only requires 95 watts. So you'll be able to adjust accordingly. That is the general rule of thumb; after you've configured it all and found that sweet spot. You can either enable or leave the above items disabled.

Hopefully that helps. Please once a resolution has been found to your original question you do mark it solved. That way others know you've received the correct answer. If you need more details I'd be more then happy to assist, just provide as much detail about what your asking for me.

Thank you GSans.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Hello,

What are you using to Overclock? The Bios or software?

Since each Bios is different and I can't see what you see. It's usually located in Advanced Chipset or Cpu Features. If you post screen shots or upload pictures with a smart phone I'd be happy to go into more detail.