Sign in with
Your question

Make home server for files and backups

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2009 5:02:54 AM

Hi first time poster, but not that new to computers.
Tinkering with my system for a while now.
It's old, but I don't want to trash it, so thinking of turning it into a server to store media and backups and that sort of stuff.
What I want to do:
Store backup from things like mac book, compaq laptop, imac, new desktop I will be getting.
Store media like music and movies and documents too.
I have a westel router, and my computer specs are:
AMD 939 4400+ 2.2 ghx, asus a8n-sli premium, 3 gb ram.

Any one want to help and tell me the first step, checked google and youtube, just getting confused with all that you can install and stuff.

Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2009 5:35:42 AM

I'd dump all necessary prgrams and partition the thing down to just what you need on C:\...create a D:\partition and then Map it as a network drive on all the machines in your house. Set your backup program (FBackup is free) to store stuff on:

D:\Dad's Box
D:\MomsBox
D:\JuniorsBox
D:\SissysBox
m
l
November 29, 2009 5:48:46 AM

Huh?
I don't get it.
What programs and os or stuff do I need
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2009 4:30:06 PM

Perhaps you may want to go with Windows Home Server http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... I am about to build a server from scratch and that is what I am going to use. It is supposed to be fairly easy to setup all machines on it and it performs backups on all Windows machines. As far as the Macs I am reading that you can network to a drive on the server via SMB and setup Time Machine to back up to that drive. I have yet to see that but I really hope that is true. It also has some sort of software pseudo RAID or something like that. Although it is not a true RAID it acts like one and I have a friend that just lost a drive and was able to restore all his data to a new drive. Pretty slick.
m
l
December 2, 2009 7:25:34 PM

Supe_ said:
Perhaps you may want to go with Windows Home Server http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... I am about to build a server from scratch and that is what I am going to use. It is supposed to be fairly easy to setup all machines on it and it performs backups on all Windows machines. As far as the Macs I am reading that you can network to a drive on the server via SMB and setup Time Machine to back up to that drive. I have yet to see that but I really hope that is true. It also has some sort of software pseudo RAID or something like that. Although it is not a true RAID it acts like one and I have a friend that just lost a drive and was able to restore all his data to a new drive. Pretty slick.

so what you are saying is that I have to install windows server which ever version works.
Once i do that what happens do i just plug that computer into the router and the other into the routers too? And I can back up and stuff?
I thought some people turn their OS like window xp into servers?
m
l
December 2, 2009 8:13:22 PM

if your not scared of trying new system, I would recommend trying the ubuntu server edition.
m
l
December 2, 2009 8:15:51 PM

Or Centos while reading up on configuring Samba
m
l
!