Question about gtx 680 hydro copper

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Gtx
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 9, 2012 7:17:34 PM

Hello everyone!

New member here. I just registered because I have a question regarding space and vga.

At the moment I have the Corsair obsidian 800D as a case, and my motherboard is gigabyte x79-ud7.

I intend to buy 3 EVGA gtx 680 hydro copper video cards. I am a little bit troubled here since these are 2 slot cards and I dont know if the connector between the 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd card for the wc system will have enough space to fit.

What you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

George.

More about : question gtx 680 hydro copper

a c 150 K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 7:37:36 PM

You just need 3 spare pcie slots, hydro copper cards are single slot.
October 10, 2012 6:04:56 PM

amuffin said:
You just need 3 spare pcie slots, hydro copper cards are single slot.

the card is single slot but gtx 680's have stacked dvi ports that makes them dual slot cards...

Quote:
Hello everyone!

New member here. I just registered because I have a question regarding space and vga.

At the moment I have the Corsair obsidian 800D as a case, and my motherboard is gigabyte x79-ud7.

I intend to buy 3 EVGA gtx 680 hydro copper video cards. I am a little bit troubled here since these are 2 slot cards and I dont know if the connector between the 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd card for the wc system will have enough space to fit.

What you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

George.

the spacing between the gpu's will be enough for installing sli fittings for your watercooling setup.///

good luck with your rig..:D 
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 11, 2012 12:19:08 AM

I just thought I'd chime in your better off not getting the 680 hydro coppers. Get a reference 680 from EVGA or someone and get an aftermarket block, as they don't have as much restriction. I've heard that the EVGA blocks (made by swiftech iirc) are more restrictive and don't use as much copper as the aftermarket blocks you can get.
October 11, 2012 11:04:56 AM

the hydrocopper blocks are made by swiftech and yes,they are restrictive...people mostly buy hydrocopper blocks only for the looks....you might receive better performance by using aftermarket waterblocks made by ek,heatkiller,aquacomputer etc...but the gtx 680 with pre installed waterblock has the clocks highly overclocked..so if you dont want to overclock but want to achieve the awesome performance than th gtx 680 hydrocopper will be the best for you..but if you want to extreme overclocks,i think you are better off with a gtx 680+aftermarket waterblock which might even save you some money!
a c 78 K Overclocking
October 11, 2012 11:02:56 PM

this will help you find out more info on the hydro's

1| the hydro's may be restrictive but their temps are far terrible than any other custom solution(gpu+after market block)
2| you can get an after market block+ GTX 680 for cheaper
3| you learn alot from assembling your own block
4| the hydro copper series since 2007 come from Swiftech, now they're known as the Komodo's

@ Scopey86 - its not just the copper in it - its the block design that effects temps

5| people "mostly" buy hydro copper version's of cards to save them the hassle of tinkering with hardware and voiding warranty in case the end user is a dim-witt and its an out-of-the-box "add-into watercooling loop" hardware.

final advice:
6| if you're going to overclock anything - learn first then do it, and do it with your brain matters crossed(and not your fingers)!

happy cooling+clocking
[:lutfij:3]
a b K Overclocking
October 12, 2012 12:36:07 AM

lutfij has some great info there. It definitely helps support the idea that getting a hydro copper block isn't the best for you in terms of performance. My personal reccomendations for a block would be either XSPC Razor, EK (if you like the design and DO NOT GET NICKEL), or the heatkiller block. Honestly the performance between those blocks is negligible so go based on price/aesthetics. Keep in mind in aesthetics the block will be face down so you'll never really see it.
a c 78 K Overclocking
October 12, 2012 12:41:36 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind in aesthetics the block will be face down so you'll never really see it.
nicely executed there - we all go jizzin in our undies when ever we see a mobo :p  however, not many of us (actively) realize that the slots and most of the board will get covered up with the cards.

+ 5000 to EK's BS nickel plating.
!