Sign in with
Your question

Advice needed on WC loop

Last response: in Overclocking
May 10, 2012 12:44:54 AM

Hi all!

It's finallly time for my long awaited upgrade.. well its more of a start again and keep a few bits... I've decided on a NZXT switch 810 case, it'll fit the 360 (30mm thick) rad that I already own in the top with a push-pull configuration no problems and also a 240 rad (60mm thick) in push-pull in the bottom.

I'll be getting an ivy bridge processor (not sure which one yet) and will be overclocking to approximately 4.5 GHz. I am hoping to get (and have been saving a long time for) a pair of 680 hydro coppers, or at least 2 cards with preinstalled waterblocks. I have a MCP355 12V DDC-1Plus 18w Laing pump already.

The loop I'm planning on is:
res--->CPU--->360 rad--->680(1)--->680(2)--->240 rad--->back to res

What I want to know is whether or not that pump will be sufficient to push the water through both the rads, both the 680s and the CPU. Or, whether it would be worth putting a second pump in. Additionally, will a 240 rad after a pair of 680s be sufficient to cool the water down.

Thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.
Pete

More about : advice needed loop

a c 90 K Overclocking
May 10, 2012 1:20:30 AM

Gotta say I love that case...
Your loop design seems sound, I would personally add another pump since you're looking at, well, at least 12 (or more?) fittings (your biggest flow degrader), on just the one MCP355.
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 10, 2012 6:39:36 AM

I'd definitely recommend adding another pump there, one DDC1 will struggle
Moto
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 10, 2012 5:07:43 PM

I think he'd be alright with a single MCP355, but if you can pick up another for your loop, you'd definitely be set. They are pretty strong little boogers, and if you go with a good aftermarket top (recommended if you are running only a single in a loop like this), you can easily bump up the head and flow on them quite well.
May 11, 2012 4:43:31 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I have decided to add another pump.

I am thinking about getting the xspc dual bay res for two ddc laing pumps (link below). I think it is the most space efficientway of setting up the loop.

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/laing-pump-top-reservoir/...”-reservoir-for-two-laing-ddcs/

Instead of using dual loops I'd like to keep to one loop,and am proposing:

res/pump1===>cpu===>360rad===>res/pump2===>gpu1===>gpu2===>240rad===>back into the first res again.

Has anyone had any experience with this bay res/pump combo? And what do you think of the loop?

Thanks again!
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 5:55:54 PM

I'd have the 240 after the Cpu and the 360 for the Gpu's, it doesn't make a deal of difference in the average loop though,
the most you'll see is between one and three degrees difference between any two points in a loop normally
one loop ethos is good, more volume means a greater time to reach equilibrium and better cooling potential, think one 2L engine over two 1L ones, the 2L engine gives more for less than the combined 1L ones, Google Delta T and thermal mass equilibrium if you haven't looked into it already,
and I have two of the Xspc dualbay resses in my own loop, although not the DDC variant, I like them though
Moto
a c 90 K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 6:42:53 PM

Peds013 said:
Thanks for the advice guys, I have decided to add another pump.

Instead of using dual loops I'd like to keep to one loop,and am proposing:

res/pump1===>cpu===>360rad===>res/pump2===>gpu1===>gpu2===>240rad===>back into the first res again.

And what do you think of the loop?

Thanks again!

I would personally do the loop: Res/pump1--360rad--cpu--res/pump2--240rad--gpu1--gpu2--res1... or at least I would try to
May 11, 2012 11:02:36 PM

Yeah that probably is a better way of doing it! and that would be a nice tidy loop in the switch 810 case. Thanks alot!
May 11, 2012 11:36:43 PM

A quick question, regarding the rads.
With the NZXT switch 810, I'm not sure a full 60mm thick rad with push-pull configuration will fit in the bottom section well with one of the HDD cages in place.

If I get a 240 rad that is only 45mm thick along with the 360 rad I already own (30mm thick). Will that be enough to cool a heavily overclock CPU and 2 high end GPUs like 680s? Or will I need more?

Ideally I'd like it to be reasonably quiet, but not overly fussed. If anyone has any fan reccommendations that would suit my needs then I'd be happy to hear them too! I've read alot about fans and I just dont even know where to start! I'm currently running 9 relatively cheap (and loud) fans.
May 13, 2012 3:29:45 PM

Bump!!...

I'd really like to know your opinions as to whether a 45mm thick 240 rad and a 30mm thick 360 rad will be enough to cool all this hardware or whether or not I'll need more rads?

Thanks again, Pete
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 3:37:17 PM

Xspc's EX240 sounds more like your plan then, and that will fit pushpull in the bottom (easier if you have large feet on it and mount two fans on the bottom outside)
Fans, I like Gelids Blue wing 120's, but there is a fan comparison at the top of the Cpu/components section you could check out as well
Moto
May 13, 2012 3:48:59 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Xspc's EX240 sounds more like your plan then, and that will fit pushpull in the bottom (easier if you have large feet on it and mount two fans on the bottom outside)
Fans, I like Gelids Blue wing 120's, but there is a fan comparison at the top of the Cpu/components section you could check out as well
Moto

Thanks alot moto! and thanks for the help on other posts too! :p 
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 4:13:05 PM

No probs man, glad to help :-)
Moto
!