1920x1080 & 1920x1080 LCDs together dual view ?

Andras

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I have a Samsung Syncmaster 2493HM with resolution 1920x1200, working fine. I would like to buy one more for dual-view. 2493HM is not sold anymore. New model 2494HM has a resolution 1920x1080. How would they work together in dual view mode? Should I choose 2443BW instead (1920x1200)? My graphics card is ASUS Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT.

What operating system do you have? When you use 2 screens you have 3 options.

1) Clone (both displays are the same)
2) Expanded desktop (this puts both screens at the same resolution and spans your desktop the length of both screens. Easy way to think about it is your windows taskbar will go across the bottom of both screens)
3) Extended desktop (Each monitor runs an independent resolution. You have a primary monitor that has your windows taskbar, but the other desktop is completely blank and has its own resolution)

You will use #3. You will have your normal desktop with the taskbar at the bottom only on that screen. The 2nd display will run it's native resolution and you can just put stuff on it. Most times when you just want additional workspace this is what you do. The expanded desktops are usually used for setups with the same resolution and apps or games that will span both screens at the same time. ATI's eyefinity is an example of that with it's 3 screens.

alex3003

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
If you use Dual display mode clearly it is ok for go for a any monitor. but make sure your VGA output is in same type. (analog or digital) i think your card is having 1 analog and 1 digital output. so make sure you have a digital to analog converter if you hope to use analog mode in both monitors. And instead of buying monitor, if you have a s-video output in your graphics card, you can use to to connect a television set to your PC, and it will work as same as a monitor but will have some additional options.

You should be able to use any combo of outputs. Does your card have dual DVI or 1 DVI and 1 VGA? Either way it would work. However VGA to a larger monitor somethings doesn't big the most crisp picture, and you can have some screen lag in games or fast movement.

Andras

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I have a Samsung Syncmaster 2493HM with resolution 1920x1200, working fine (DVI, HDMI, VGA). I would like to buy one more for dual-view. 2493HM is not sold anymore. New model 2494HM has a resolution 1920x1080 (DVI, HDMI, VGA). How would they work together in dual view mode? Should I choose 2443BW instead (1920x1200, inputs DVI, VGA)?

The graphics card is ASUS Nvidia Geforce EN9600GT Silent with max resolution 2560x1600, Dual-link DVI-out, one is HDMI-capable, D-Sub via adaptor, and also S-video/Composite-out.

Windows XP Pro x64 is installed, but I intend to go back to XP-Pro (because of some software compatibility issues). Later on I intend to switch to some newer Windows.

I want to use the two LCD-panels for viewing many open application windows and jump between them easy. I do not need to span one window to two screens. It sounds like "Expanded desktop" (ref: jay2tall).

I just tried dual view with two identical 20,5" LCD-panels (Syncmaster 203B), both 1400x1050, DVI-cable to both. Display Properties: "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor". Nvidia Control Panel: "Configure independently from each other (DualView)".

Aplication windows can be moved where I want them, I can also split a window to two screns. But Call of Duty dominates the whole computer and kicks open windows to the right half of Monitor 2, unaccessible during the game. I suppose it is nothing I can do about it. Otherwise this setting works properly.

Is it any reason to NOT order a Syncmaster 2494HM (1920x1080) for the dual-view purpose above? Did I miss something? For example the graphics card's max resolution (2560x1600) maybe too low for two screens (1920x1200 + 1920x1080)? No issues regarding the "independent" native settings of the 16:10 + 16:9 monitors?