I want an external CD burner but laptop has USB 1.1. What ..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 27, 2004 8:14:05 PM

I was hoping to get an external CD burner for my two-year-old Dell
Inspiron laptop, only to find out that all the burners nowadays are
designed for USB 2.0 ports. Of course, my machine ie equipped with
USB 1.1. So exactly what are my options. Are there burners out there
still for USB 1.1? Can my machine be somehow jerryrigged to handle a
newer burner?? Or am I SOL?!?

Thanks in advance for advice proffered!

Jerry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 3:21:27 AM

In article <e5215b74.0406271514.26e377f1@posting.google.com>,
Jerry <gebrennan@att.net> wrote:
>I was hoping to get an external CD burner for my two-year-old Dell
>Inspiron laptop, only to find out that all the burners nowadays are
>designed for USB 2.0 ports. Of course, my machine ie equipped with
>USB 1.1. So exactly what are my options. Are there burners out there
>still for USB 1.1? Can my machine be somehow jerryrigged to handle a
>newer burner?? Or am I SOL?!?

USB 2.0 burners will work on USB 1.1 ports, but your top speed will be
limited to 4X. If that isn't fast enough, get a USB 2.0 PC card for your
laptop to add the high speed ports.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 3:31:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <e5215b74.0406271518.5578211d@posting.google.com>,
Jerry <gebrennan@att.net> wrote:

USB 2.0 burners will work on USB 1.1 ports, but your top speed will be
limited to 4X. If that isn't fast enough, get a USB 2.0 PC card for your
laptop to add the high speed ports.
Related resources
June 28, 2004 3:43:48 AM

Can't you get an internal CD-RW / DVD unit? Most laptops offer them now.

"Jerry" <gebrennan@att.net> wrote in message
> I was hoping to get an external CD burner for my two-year-old Dell
> Inspiron laptop, only to find out that all the burners nowadays are
> designed for USB 2.0 ports. Of course, my machine ie equipped with
> USB 1.1. So exactly what are my options. Are there burners out there
> still for USB 1.1? Can my machine be somehow jerryrigged to handle a
> newer burner?? Or am I SOL?!?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice proffered!
>
> Jerry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 4:05:27 AM

Mike S. wrote:
> In article <e5215b74.0406271518.5578211d@posting.google.com>,
> Jerry <gebrennan@att.net> wrote:
>
> USB 2.0 burners will work on USB 1.1 ports, but your top speed will be
> limited to 4X. If that isn't fast enough, get a USB 2.0 PC card for your
> laptop to add the high speed ports.

Or get a USB 2 adapter on a PC card. Or get a firewire burner if you
have a 1394 port. (Fortunately, the parallel-port burners are gone.)

You can even use a SCSI adapter, though you'll have to hunt for a SCSI
removable writer.

Mike
--
mrichter@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/

Carbus USB2 adapter (e.g., Belkin)

Jerry wrote:

> I was hoping to get an external CD burner for my two-year-old Dell
> Inspiron laptop, only to find out that all the burners nowadays are
> designed for USB 2.0 ports. Of course, my machine ie equipped with
> USB 1.1. So exactly what are my options. Are there burners out there
> still for USB 1.1? Can my machine be somehow jerryrigged to handle a
> newer burner?? Or am I SOL?!?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice proffered!
>
> Jerry
June 28, 2004 1:55:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi both Mikes,

Thanks a million for the info! It was just what I needed to know.
And just what I WANTED to hear--that my cause is not lost!

I really appreciate your input,

Jerry

Mike Richter <mrichter@cpl.net> wrote in message news:<2k9u93F18s5q7U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Mike S. wrote:
> > In article <e5215b74.0406271518.5578211d@posting.google.com>,
> > Jerry <gebrennan@att.net> wrote:
> >
> > USB 2.0 burners will work on USB 1.1 ports, but your top speed will be
> > limited to 4X. If that isn't fast enough, get a USB 2.0 PC card for your
> > laptop to add the high speed ports.
> >

> Or get a USB 2 adapter on a PC card. Or get a firewire burner if you
> have a 1394 port. (Fortunately, the parallel-port burners are gone.)
>
> You can even use a SCSI adapter, though you'll have to hunt for a SCSI
> removable writer.
>
> Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 8:59:13 PM

Mike Richter wrote:

> Mike S. wrote:
> > In article <e5215b74.0406271518.5578211d@posting.google.com>,
> > Jerry <gebrennan@att.net> wrote:
> >
> > USB 2.0 burners will work on USB 1.1 ports, but your top speed will be
> > limited to 4X. If that isn't fast enough, get a USB 2.0 PC card for your
> > laptop to add the high speed ports.
> >

> Or get a USB 2 adapter on a PC card. Or get a firewire burner if you
> have a 1394 port. (Fortunately, the parallel-port burners are gone.)

I've been using an Adaptec USB2connect (AUA-1420A) card, and couldn't
be happier.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2004 2:00:23 PM

Notan wrote:

> I've been using an Adaptec USB2connect (AUA-1420A) card, and couldn't
> be happier.
>
> Notan

I have one of these too, but I could not get it to work properly on a two
year old laptop running Windows XP (it worked fine on the same laptop with
Windows 2000 and on a new one with XP). This may be a problem if the laptop
pre-dated Windows XP and you are using that OS.

--
Graham Mayor