Sign in with
Your question

Setting up file/web server using LX195 / Windows Home Server

Last response: in Networking
November 28, 2009 3:32:01 AM

Hello tom's hardware,

I have a question for you that will probably require a simple answer, although I am interested in hearing everything you guys have to say.

I recently purchased a HP MediaSmart Server LX195 on sale... $200, very nice.

I plan to use this for a personal file server at home, media.. backups.. etc.

However, I would also like to run a web server from it, Ventrilo server, possibly FTP.. and things of that nature. The hardware is beefy enough to run very smoothly for the few people that visit.

Now.. this device comes with Windows Home Server, and the installation is done over my network, through the router from a separate PC. There is no port for a monitor, it only has power, 4 USB ports and RJ-45 10/100/1000.

I am curious though, would Windows Home Server be able to support Microsofts IIS? I know that WHS is based off Server 2003.. and has most, if not all of the features that does, however I am unsure as to whether it comes with IIS.. and if so, does it support the same user limit as Server 2003 does?

Also, is it possible to install Windows Server 2003 itself, on this system? Would I install the OS on a different HDD, then put it in the machine? Would I be able to manage this remotely? If so, how would I make changes or view the server without having to remove the drive?

Remember, there is no monitor.

Here are some of the specs, feel free to ask or google for some more information;

HP MediaSmart Server LX195

Processor:Intel Atom 1.6 GHz Processor 230
Memory:1GB DDR2
Storage: 640GB, 7200 RPM SATA
LAN Ports: 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) RJ45 Ethernet
Other ports: 4 USB 2.0 ports
Operating: System Microsoft Windows Home Server software

The big question.. can I run a web server, voice (ventrilo/teamspeak), FTP, on this using Windows Home Server, or preferable Server 2003, and are there any limitations (like XP Pro 10 user limit for HTTP).

If need be, would I be able to install Server 2003 on this, with no monitor port?
November 28, 2009 3:58:40 AM

Ah.. I suppose I could just install Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.. and use Remote Desktop to manage it, after I install that HD.

So far that is my solution, might be the right one.

What else could there be?

- John
m
l
!