Run MS config terminates after 2 seconds

I believe that my computer has a virus. Everytime I try
to run msconfig the screen flashes for 2 seconds and then
disappears. I had this problem once before and I need to
find a way to access the configuration utility to delete
the virus, where can I get instructions on how to do this?
2 answers Last reply
More about config terminates seconds

    Scan for viruses AND spyware:

    Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
    (Links to online virus scans on the same page)

    This may be helpful too:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

    Good Luck!
    ---
    How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
    for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com

    How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

    Anne wrote:
    > I believe that my computer has a virus. Everytime I try
    > to run msconfig the screen flashes for 2 seconds and then
    > disappears. I had this problem once before and I need to
    > find a way to access the configuration utility to delete
    > the virus, where can I get instructions on how to do this?

    The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
    one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

    W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
    Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
    definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
    on-line scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

Configuration Virus Microsoft Windows XP