Viewsonic and Hd4870 underscan with HDMI

customer009

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I have a Viewsonic VX2433wm monitor and an ATI Radeon 4870 video card. I recently got an hdmi cable to connect the two. (before i was using DVI) When i use the HDMI cable with full resolution i get the underscanning issues that other people reported. However i cannot do any of the fixes for it because CCC detects very little about my monitor and thus gives me very few advanced options.

I guess what i'm asking is "Is there a way to force CCC into thinking my monitor has options it is not detecting?"

Edit: the Underscanning is greater in "HDMI(PC)" mode and not as much in "HDMI(AV)" mode option on the monitors OSD

Solution
CCC Scaling

Go to Desktop & Displays
At the bottom there is a small Monitor Icon
Right Click with the mouse and select Configure
There are multiple tabs and one of it is Scaling Options.
There is the underscan/overscan slide bar.

leon2006

Distinguished
Use an updated Catalyst ATI Driver. That should address this problem. I have viewsonic 2433 through HDMI. I'm running 1080P. Catalyst 9.11 is already available and that model of viewsonic monitor has no issue even with 9.6.

customer009

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I'm running 9.11, checking for driver updates was the first thing i tried. My Viewsonic drivers are version 1.5. I did forget to state that i'm running windows 7 x64.

i dunno whats up then. Do you have overscan/underscan options in your catalyst or does it just run fine natively?

also the only time it gets that way is if it is in full 1920x1080 resolution. If I lower the resolution it fills the screen.

customer009

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Viewsonic LCD monitor don't require scaling options. Scaling options appear on HDTV.

Start CCC go to Desktop Properties. Set your display to 1920x1080, 32 Bit, 60HZ, Landscape.

Those are the settings that it is currently at. I don't want scaling, but it is scaling, i want to turn the scaling off. I was hoping for scaling settings so i could turn them off, as i had seen in other posts that stated CCC was defaulted to downscale 1920x1080. On 1920x1080 with "HDMI(AV)" it reduces the physical area of screen by about an inch on the side and half an inch on the top and bottom. If i switch it over to "HDMI(PC)" its nearly 2 inches or more on all sides. If i move the resolution 1 step down it fills the screen.

What OS are you running? maybe its somehow an issue with the win7 drivers and i should try switching to the vista ones.

leon2006

Distinguished
CCC Scaling

Go to Desktop & Displays
At the bottom there is a small Monitor Icon
Right Click with the mouse and select Configure
There are multiple tabs and one of it is Scaling Options.
There is the underscan/overscan slide bar.

Solution