Broken Pin on Hard drive

berry33

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Oh my god another problem i had removed a ribbon cable to replace between the HD and the motherboard restarted computer just had a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner? Rechecked everything i had done and made sure the ribbon cable had been attached securely even though i had check it anyway before restarting the machine. Tried booting into safe mode and even that was a no no still cursor flashing. I switched off then removed the ribbon cable inspecting all the pins from what i could see all ok. I put the old ribbon cable back on thinking that the ribbon i had might be faulty, no same thing happened. I switched off removed the HD and on closer inspection indeed one of the pins had broken off. This is what i did to sort it.

Never used solder nothing like that, I got an old Hard drive and with a pair of long nosed pliers i pulled a pin carefully from it, Lucky for me there was a bit just protruding on my Hard drive. I identified the correct hole in the plug of the ribbon cable to that of the pin that was broken off and inserted the pin i removed from the old hard drive into the hole on the ribbon plug. It sits in nice and tight and won't drop out i carefully lowered the plug and could see how much pin i had to cut so it would sit on top the broken bit, I slightly bent the pin so that it would sit snug without touching any other pin. I connected the ribbon cable plug carefully and then put the Hard drive back in the pc. It was able to boot to the windows screen and everything now is working. Although my old problem of switching off at random is still there but i am working through it to find the culprit. Hope this helps someone.