Overclocking an i5 750 CPU nOOb Question

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I just recently built my first ever PC. So far so good. I have an Intel i5 750 processor. I am also new to overclocking. I have this CPU overclocked to about 3.7ghz. more than enough for me. With the CPUID HWMonitor I'm getting temp readings at most about 45 deg. Celsius (for all 4 cores) even while gaming. I also have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heatsink that seems to be doing a good job. I keep changing back to the original default stock settings of the CPU without any overclocking because I do not want to burnout my new CPU. Do these temps look ok? Am I alright leaving it overclocked all of the time? What do most people do? I just do not want to shorten the life of my new CPU. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

- manooly

ulysses35

Distinguished
Temps are fine - have seen much higher on other peoples posts - so looks like you did a good job on the build.

What case do you have ? if at any point temps start to get higher i would look at improving air flow through your case. In the meantime enjoy your new PC

AMW1011

Distinguished
My i5 750 is sitting at 4.0 GHz and the temps load to around 65-68c with Intel Burn Test. I recommend that you download and try 20+ runs of Intel Burn Test with the highest possible memory to see if you overclock is truly stable.

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

I have an Antec 1200. I love this case. Plenty of room and good airflow. I currently have 9 fans in it also!

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

My BCLK Freq = 195MHz
CPU voltage = .85v
IMC Voltage = 1.25v
DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.6v

I have 4GB of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz RAM (stock timings are 7-8-7-24 2N and 1.6v)

Does this all look ok? I used an auto tuning tool that my ASUS motherboard came with. Everything seems to be running just fine. I manually adjust my RAM timings to 7-8-7-24 2N in the BIOS. The tool set all of the voltages. I just got done playing Lord of the Rings Online for over an hour and the highest core temp on my i5 750 was 44 deg Celsius. Is this ok? I am running at an overclock of 3.7Ghz. Is there anything else I should adjust or should I just leave this alone if everything seems to be running ok for me? Do I need to test anything?

Thanks again to you all for the information. Keep it coming!!!

- manooly