Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking an i5 750 CPU nOOb Question

Last response: in CPUs
February 10, 2010 4:54:40 PM

I just recently built my first ever PC. So far so good. I have an Intel i5 750 processor. I am also new to overclocking. I have this CPU overclocked to about 3.7ghz. more than enough for me. With the CPUID HWMonitor I'm getting temp readings at most about 45 deg. Celsius (for all 4 cores) even while gaming. I also have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heatsink that seems to be doing a good job. I keep changing back to the original default stock settings of the CPU without any overclocking because I do not want to burnout my new CPU. Do these temps look ok? Am I alright leaving it overclocked all of the time? What do most people do? I just do not want to shorten the life of my new CPU. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

- manooly
February 10, 2010 4:59:10 PM

Those temperatures are fine and well within the limits of that processor. Keep it overclocked.
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2010 5:37:03 PM

Temps are fine - have seen much higher on other peoples posts - so looks like you did a good job on the build.

What case do you have ? if at any point temps start to get higher i would look at improving air flow through your case. In the meantime enjoy your new PC
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2010 5:44:07 PM

My i5 750 is sitting at 4.0 GHz and the temps load to around 65-68c with Intel Burn Test. I recommend that you download and try 20+ runs of Intel Burn Test with the highest possible memory to see if you overclock is truly stable.
February 10, 2010 5:46:40 PM

ulysses35 said:
Temps are fine - have seen much higher on other peoples posts - so looks like you did a good job on the build.

What case do you have ? if at any point temps start to get higher i would look at improving air flow through your case. In the meantime enjoy your new PC

I have an Antec 1200. I love this case. Plenty of room and good airflow. I currently have 9 fans in it also!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 11:06:51 PM

What did you set your voltages to?
February 11, 2010 12:35:42 AM

ekoostik said:
What did you set your voltages to?

My BCLK Freq = 195MHz
CPU voltage = .85v
IMC Voltage = 1.25v
DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.6v

I have 4GB of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz RAM (stock timings are 7-8-7-24 2N and 1.6v)

Does this all look ok? I used an auto tuning tool that my ASUS motherboard came with. Everything seems to be running just fine. I manually adjust my RAM timings to 7-8-7-24 2N in the BIOS. The tool set all of the voltages. I just got done playing Lord of the Rings Online for over an hour and the highest core temp on my i5 750 was 44 deg Celsius. Is this ok? I am running at an overclock of 3.7Ghz. Is there anything else I should adjust or should I just leave this alone if everything seems to be running ok for me? Do I need to test anything?

Thanks again to you all for the information. Keep it coming!!!

- manooly
!