Sign in with
Your question

Single 5870 vs 5770's (CF)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2009 2:44:59 PM

Hey guys,
I'm wondering which option would be better here,
HIS Radeon HD 5870 1GB Graphics Card :- http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=37...

or

HIS Radeon HD 5770 :- http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=38...
in crossfire.

two 5770's ammount in cash to one 5870 so im wondering if it's the same performance wise.
Using a 1680x1050 monitor, my build so far is:

i7 920
Asus P6T (mabye P6T deluxe, going to run through the differances later)
Corsair 6GB 1600MHz DDR3
Coolermaster V8
Corsair 550W PSU (can go higher if need be though)
Windows 7
1Tb Samsung SpinPoint F3

System will be used for high end gaming, MMO's.

Cheers guys

More about : single 5870 5770

a c 147 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 2:52:34 PM

(2) 5770's in CD are on par with a single 5850. At higher res I believe the (2) 5770's do pull ahead.

A single 5870 will outperform (2) 5770's. Plus you don't have to bother with all the Crossfire BS, which can be a pain.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 2, 2009 5:48:59 PM

I also plan to crossfire 5770 but in the future. Instead of buying an overprice 5870 right now, I rather play my games on medium-high settings. Especially when money is an issue.

But at least I don't find it hard to crossfire with the old cards. Shouldn't be any different with 5000 series, just pop them both in, connect them, configure and tweak some stuff here and there. Google ahead, if you have problems or concerns. Other than that it's pretty much like installing any other hardware. Just gotta make sure your motherboard/card/psu are compatible and oh yeah make sure you have your crossfire connector (HD internal/external) I panicked when I didn't have one! mine was internal I found it in my motherboard box. I didn't know how to do it before either. Just do some research you'll be fine!
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 6:08:04 PM

I tried to crossfire (2) 4870's and had ALOT of heat issues on the top card. It just wouldn't run cool enough and hit 100C and shut down. Granted that is a 4870, but still with any dual card, CF or SLI setup you have the heat of 2 cards to deal with. The heat from the lower card traps under the top card and heats it up.

A single card is always the easiest solution.
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 6:18:01 PM

The HD5770 is small, cool and power efficient mitigating a lot of the problems that come with crossfire. A single card is always better as then you can crossfire it later though.
December 2, 2009 6:24:12 PM

jay2tall said:
I tried to crossfire (2) 4870's and had ALOT of heat issues on the top card. It just wouldn't run cool enough and hit 100C and shut down. Granted that is a 4870, but still with any dual card, CF or SLI setup you have the heat of 2 cards to deal with. The heat from the lower card traps under the top card and heats it up.

A single card is always the easiest solution.

The other day I had my system torn apart and was looking at the spacing between my slots... if I added a 2nd 5850, the coolers would practically be touching each other. With just one card and good air flow, I have no problems... but I can totally see one of the cards being starved for air in a CF setup. I had really given this much though until I saw for myself just how close the clearance was going to be. From memory I'd estimate the gap to have been maybe around 1/6th of an inch... I just don't see that helping things when it comes to heat.

I guess all I'm saying is... "What jay2tall said!"
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 6:28:10 PM

rodney_ws said:
The other day I had my system torn apart and was looking at the spacing between my slots... if I added a 2nd 5850, the coolers would practically be touching each other. With just one card and good air flow, I have no problems... but I can totally see one of the cards being starved for air in a CF setup. I had really given this much though until I saw for myself just how close the clearance was going to be. From memory I'd estimate the gap to have been maybe around 1/6th of an inch... I just don't see that helping things when it comes to heat.

I guess all I'm saying is... "What jay2tall said!"

I didn't think this through until I actually put the 2nd card in and said "Darn those things are REALLY close". I got angry trying to battle heat. And sold them both on ebay, took a little hit, and got a 5870. Never looked back.
December 2, 2009 7:20:34 PM

Heat issue is definitely a problem, I have the Antec 900 and my fans are pretty decent. I crossfired two 4770, it was a small card had no problems.

Make sure you have enough room and air flow in your case. If you do get 5870, make sure your case have room for it. On the side note, my friend tried to crossfire 4870 as well, he had A LOT of issues regarding to heat/room/airflow his case barely fit those 2 cards, everything was cramped. He ended up selling them both on craiglist and bought Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X instead.
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 7:27:14 PM

Well you cannot compare dual 4870's to dual 5770's as far as heat goes, the 5770 runs pretty cool compared to the 4870. I built a pc not to long ago with dual 5770's and I did not have any issues whastoever as far as temps. Of course a single card configuration is less of a hassle but then again any 5 series cross-fired will amaze you no matter what GPU you decide on.
!