May 10, 2012 12:29:03 PM

Hello u guys

I need some help.

My configuration is
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 850 3.30GHz
Memory : Mushkin 8GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit Frostbyte Redline

At this moment my DDR3 runs at 1600mhz because of the Processor
I need instruction how to overclock the proc so i can use my DDR3 at 1866Mhz ... and i mean all the instruction cause i`m kind of noobish :D 

Hope someone knows the right timings to set in bios

Thank you.

More about : overclock phenom 850

a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 2:22:29 AM

I thought phenom II's internal memory controller didn't like to go far beyond 1333...but this is the overclocking section and if you want to try it...

Go into MB intelligent tweaker in the bios and set memory clock to manual and adjust the multiplier until you are at or near your target speed.

Keep in mind that you may also have to change your memory timings and voltage to get it to perform. (that's in "DRAM Configuration" one selection below "set memory clock" in your BIOS.

You should be able to just plug in the timings listed in the RAM specs for your RAM.

The RAM voltage adjustment is labeled "DRAM Voltage control" in the same screen in the BIOS a little further down the list.

(I think you have to change "System Voltage Control" to "manual before you can adjust DRAM voltage.)

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 2:30:44 AM

Phenom II doesn't "like" memory past 1600Mhz. Stick with 1600. Overclocking a PII CPU along with 1866Mhz memory will just cause instability. You may be able to get 1866Mhz running while running the CPU at stock speeds though. Just change the settings in the BIOS and you should have it! Run Memtest86+ to make sure it's stable. :) 
Related resources
May 11, 2012 3:58:02 PM

HostileDonut said:
Phenom II doesn't "like" memory past 1600Mhz. Stick with 1600. Overclocking a PII CPU along with 1866Mhz memory will just cause instability. You may be able to get 1866Mhz running while running the CPU at stock speeds though. Just change the settings in the BIOS and you should have it! Run Memtest86+ to make sure it's stable. :) 

I dont know how to do that with out change the FSB ... i did talk with the site witch sold me the Processor and they said i have to change the proc in order to get 1866mhz because the proc x4 850 dosent support more that 1600Mhz ... so i put it to sell and hope it will sell fast put more money and get me one FX with 1866mhz support. ;) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 5:07:15 PM

You should be able to go into the RAM profiles settings and change it to 1866Mhz. It should just change the RAM multiplier. :) 
May 11, 2012 5:34:29 PM

HostileDonut said:
You should be able to go into the RAM profiles settings and change it to 1866Mhz. It should just change the RAM multiplier. :) 

maximum multiplier is x8.00 with result in 1600Mhz ... maximum so without the change of fsb at 233 i can put them higher ...
i did put the fsb at 233 got 1864Mhz but the sistem didnt run :)  so i guess i didnt put the voltage right since i let them on auto. if u know the right settings for that u can help me ... so ...
a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 5:43:44 PM

Embrace The Power [:lutfij:4]

of reading your motherboard manual! :lol: 

There ... in the dark depths ... you will find the magic AND HORROR :o  of pressing Ctrl-F1 at the main BIOS screen to expand Menu options . . .

Embrace The Power!, Bro

There, under MIT, you will find the CPU Host Clock Control and Set Memory Clock options, which thy shall morph from *Auto* to *Manual*

Upon invoking such magic you will be faced with the following HORROR: Decide whether to set your Memory Clock to x8.00 or x6.67.

With x8.00 selected, yee must shall then select 233 as thy CPU Host Frequency.

Embrace The Power!, Bro

If yee wish to travel in legend, thy shall designate Memory Clock x6.67. For there, yee shall select 280 as thy CPU Host Frequency.

In either case, thy RAMs shall be running spec speed!

8.00 x 233MHz = 1866MHz
6.67 x 280MHz = 1866MHz

IT'S MAGIC !!! :bounce: 

Yee also shall take manual control of thy voltages, as yee mobo will over-volt yer panties off with setting on *Auto*

The CPU Multiplier and voltage levels are up to you. Shall I allay thy concerns with suggestions, My Liege ?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 5:56:26 PM

That... was.... AMAZING!
May 11, 2012 6:09:06 PM

Wisecracker said:
Embrace The Power [:lutfij:4]

of reading your motherboard manual! :lol: 

There ... in the dark depths ... you will find the magic AND HORROR :o  of pressing Ctrl-F1 at the main BIOS screen to expand Menu options . . .

Embrace The Power!, Bro

There, under MIT, you will find the CPU Host Clock Control and Set Memory Clock options, which thy shall morph from *Auto* to *Manual*

Upon invoking such magic you will be faced with the following HORROR: Decide whether to set your Memory Clock to x8.00 or x6.67.

With x8.00 selected, yee must shall then select 233 as thy CPU Host Frequency.

Embrace The Power!, Bro

If yee wish to travel in legend, thy shall designate Memory Clock x6.67. For there, yee shall select 280 as thy CPU Host Frequency.

In either case, thy RAMs shall be running spec speed!

8.00 x 233MHz = 1866MHz
6.67 x 280MHz = 1866MHz

IT'S MAGIC !!! :bounce: 

Yee also shall take manual control of thy voltages, as yee mobo will over-volt yer panties off with setting on *Auto*

The CPU Multiplier and voltage levels are up to you. Shall I allay thy concerns with suggestions, My Liege ?

Thy for advice man but either of this solution ive try none worked ... i got a slow boot and reset of bios and ram at 1333Mhz .... i did let the voltage on auto ... should i change timings ? i did let them on auto as well .... so where is the problem ? :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 6:13:41 PM

Your CPU is probably just not "liking" the RAM setting. As I said, Phenom II is not made for RAM above 1333Mhz, but runs with 1600Mhz pretty well. 1866Mhz is not for Phenom II.
a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 6:27:08 PM

You are not really giving up any information, Oh! Great One :D 

Download CPUz and post up some screenshots of your CPU, voltages and memory. Need temperature reports, too.

Really Important ---------->>> Yee shall verify that thy backup BIOS is the same as thy main BIOS on Yee Gigabyte FX Dragon.

I would try something like 12x280MHz to begin with the IMC/NB at 8x and HT at 7x. Lock the PCIe to 100MHz. Set the VCore to 1.388v.

I must bravely run away for a brute-force attack on my lawn but will check back.
May 11, 2012 7:23:39 PM

I did the screenshots but i dont know how to post them here .... IMC/NB i realy dont know what that means :)  tell me how to post the screenshots ....
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 7:24:59 PM

Post them on something like Photo Bucket and then link them to us. :)  It's easy and safe to make an account there.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 7:35:36 PM

Okay, go into the SPD section of the program. Right down what you have to set all the settings to. The timings, speed, and voltage. You may need a little bit more voltage to straighten it our, but I wouldn't go past 1.55-1.6v on it since it does say 1.5v. Also, your 1333Mhz speeds are running very high latencies. CHANGE THOSE! Hope it works! :) 
a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 11:22:34 PM

Did yee verify that thy backup BIOS is the same as thy main BIOS on Yee Gigabyte FX Dragon ?

And, sorry. I can't really read your screen shots very well. It looks as if you have C&Q on and are running 1000MHz at 1.37v -- that is too much. Download OCCT to place a load on the CPU and make a voltage and temp check at load. I bet they're both up thare and need to come down.

In Paint you may crop those photos and resize them.

Everything is based off your clock: CPU, NB/IMC, HT Link and Memory. That clock speed for each item is manipulated through multipliers.

You want to keep your HT Link speed as close to 2000MHz as possible using the multiplier. The NB/IMC can go as high as you can take it, but initially keep it below 2400MHz.

If you start with your CPU multiplier in the 12x-13x range you may slowly build your clock speed and test for temps and stability. Your CPU at stock is 16.5x200MHz. Since we are jacking the clock speed we must drop the multiplier.

I know your motherboard can operate at 280MHz because I've taken mine beyond 300MHz :lol:  There is no reason to expect your CPU (a C3-stepping) cannot perform at 3.8-4GHz with VCore generally in the 1.375v (up to 1.4v) range at load. Beyond 4GHz will most likely take more than 1.4v (but I've seen a 960T, or Thuban, at 4.2GHz below 1.4v).

With the memory at 6.67x and your VCore at 1.3875v, try ...

CPU -- 13x250MHz
NB/IMC -- 9x250MHz
HT Link -- 8x250MHz

When you are comfortable with temps and stability at load you may progress to a higher clock level, say, 260MHz (but remember to keep your HT link down!)

If you feel like the memory speed is an issue, drop the divider to 5.33 and you will take your memory completely out of the equation!

5.33x250MHz = 1333MHz !!

edit: I fergit . . .

With your CPU you are essentially working BOTH a combination of clock speed and multiplier -- 15x250MHz is the same thing as 13.5x280 ... kinda ... sorta.

You are simply looking for the sweet spots (and learning what all this stuff is about). You should also learn to reset your CMOS. Do you know your BIOS disk set-up and boot sequence?

a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2012 4:49:12 PM

Very good, sir ! [:lutfij:4]

Quote:
With the memory at 6.67x and your VCore at 1.3875v

CPU -- 13x250MHz
NB/IMC -- 9x250MHz
HT Link -- 8x250MHz

You have a slight over-volt at 1.392v, but +0.005v ain't really nuthin' You should monitor the over-volt along with your temps. This is ultimately what is going to hold you back.

You have a choice:
1) raise the CPU multiplier; or
2) raise the clock frequency.

With 1) You may raise the CPU multiplier in .5 increments. This will not effect your NB, HT or RAM speeds. 14.5x250MHz should be within reach but keep an eye on things. 15x250MHz may require a slight volt bump and this may cause the over-volt to jump a bit.

When you find your comfort level, you should raise the NB/IMC multiplier to 10x. This is important (more important than adding .5x to your CPU multiplier).

With 2) Raising the clock frequency will raise all of your CPU, NB, HT and RAM speeds proportionately with the HT being the one to watch -- keep it at 2000MHz and below. Drop the HT multiplier to 7x if you have any concerns about your HT and stability.

Your sweet spot is 280MHz. I would suggest working your way there in 10MHz increments while monitoring stability and temps. If you have an issue you may add +0.0125v to your VCore and try again. Your NB vid may be raised to 1.2-1.25v as you approach 2400MHz and beyond.

a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 3:37:16 PM

I don't know what you did or how you ended up where you are. If it's working and you like it, I wouldn't touch anything, but I have difficulty imagining your system as stable (though it may well be).

3.625GHz at 1.04v, I suspect, is incorrect. You should check your cpu voltage with other utilities. You have not reported your operating temperatures. You have not verified that your Backup BIOS is the same version as your Main BIOS.

Presumably, your RAMs are running 6.67x250-1667MHz. Did you raise the IMC/NB from 9x to 10x?

Otherwise,

You can try your CPU 15x (= 3.75GHz) The maximum CPU multiplier on your chip is 16.5, or 4.125GHz. Your ability to reach that speed, once again, is dependent upon your temps, voltages and stability.

Good luck!

October 9, 2012 8:56:10 AM

Z1NONLY said:
I thought phenom II's internal memory controller didn't like to go far beyond 1333...but this is the overclocking section and if you want to try it...

Go into MB intelligent tweaker in the bios and set memory clock to manual and adjust the multiplier until you are at or near your target speed.

Keep in mind that you may also have to change your memory timings and voltage to get it to perform. (that's in "DRAM Configuration" one selection below "set memory clock" in your BIOS.

You should be able to just plug in the timings listed in the RAM specs for your RAM.

The RAM voltage adjustment is labeled "DRAM Voltage control" in the same screen in the BIOS a little further down the list.

(I think you have to change "System Voltage Control" to "manual before you can adjust DRAM voltage.)

you cant adjust the multiplier can you? i thought they were locked?
October 9, 2012 8:57:08 AM

Wisecracker said:
I don't know what you did or how you ended up where you are. If it's working and you like it, I wouldn't touch anything, but I have difficulty imagining your system as stable (though it may well be).

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/AMD%20Overlords/Stuff/6fb.jpg

3.625GHz at 1.04v, I suspect, is incorrect. You should check your cpu voltage with other utilities. You have not reported your operating temperatures. You have not verified that your Backup BIOS is the same version as your Main BIOS.

Presumably, your RAMs are running 6.67x250-1667MHz. Did you raise the IMC/NB from 9x to 10x?

Otherwise,

You can try your CPU 15x (= 3.75GHz) The maximum CPU multiplier on your chip is 16.5, or 4.125GHz. Your ability to reach that speed, once again, is dependent upon your temps, voltages and stability.

Good luck!

wheres your l3 cache?
October 9, 2012 9:00:17 AM

looking for help to overclock my cpu, n68-vs3 fx,phenom ii x4 850 l3 cache unlocked, 4gb drr3 1033?
a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 9, 2012 2:41:53 PM

darren0000 said:
you cant adjust the multiplier can you? i thought they were locked?

Please carefully re-read the thread for tips on OC'ing your rig. The CPU multiplier at stock is 16.5x200MHz, and will operate at any level below that multiplier in *.5* increments. It is 'locked' from going higher than 16.5, not a lower CPU multiplier.

At last report the OP is running 14.5x250MHz, 3.63GHz, with his RAMs at 6.67x250MHz-1667MHz.

darren0000 said:
wheres your l3 cache?

That does not compute. The OP's IMC/NB is presumably at 2500MHz.

darren0000 said:
looking for help to overclock my cpu, n68-vs3 fx,phenom ii x4 850 l3 cache unlocked, 4gb drr3 1033?

You should start a new thread with a complete description of your system including video card and power supply. You should also be aware that a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 is an AMD -FX motherboard.

Your motherboard is an nVidia chipset mATX board not really close to the GA-990FXA-UD3 in any fashion.

!