Need advice on Non-Gamer Budget Build

greekmooman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Maybe as soon as tonight because the Newegg deals appear to be ending today.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: This will be used primarily for basic home usage. I will use it for internet and work related tasks such as power point etc. I would like to be able to do basic video tasks such as creating DVDs from home videos perhaps using Movie Maker, or something similar. I will use this for basic games, such as your regular ol Flash games and some moderate to lite desktop games.

I would also like this to function as an HTPC when I am not using it. HTPC in the sense I wil lbe watching movies on my HDD directly to the PC, and not one that has DVR capabilites, I already have a Tivo.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I won't be needing a keyboard and mouse, I already have those. I have an external 600 gig HDD as well. I also already have the IR USB device.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have no definite preferences. I have been going by suggested parts from others builds.

OVERCLOCKING:
no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not a massive requirement, but I would like the monitor to be higher in resolution than not...

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: It doesn't have to be fancy looking, as it will likely be under a desktop or in a cabinet... I don't need it to be super quiet for the same reason, but I would prefer not to hear it through the cabinet!

Based on some other threads and reviews I have come up with the following build:

Mobo/Processor Combo
• ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
• AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX - Retail
Combo Price: $148.99

RAM
WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-4096K - Retail
Item #: N82E16820161183
$80.99

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AADS 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136359
$69.99

Optical Bay
HP 24X Multiformat DVD Burner Black SATA Model 1270i LightScribe Support - Retail
Item #: N82E16827140041
$33.99

Case
LOGISYS Computer Area 51 CS51WBK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16811148030
$34.99

Total with Shipping:
$390.57

This is my first build, so I am assuming I am missing somthing vital with this build... So please, point out any flaws or potential issues you see with this build, don't assume I am married to any of these devices!

My concerns:

I am not purchasing a separate PSU as the case comes with one. The reviews on Newegg all suggest the stock psu is fine unless I am building a gamer machine, which I am not. It is a 4-pin connector and I am no too sure if that means I will have trouble or not...

The case also comes with a 80mm fan, thus I am not purchasing a separate cooling device to include.

I still need to find a Monitor that I am happy with, and honestly I cannot decide what to go with, any suggestions on a great monitor under $200?

Just a smallish top up for an AM3/DDR3 version featuring an 80+ certified PSU for peace of mind hehe
cxzn.jpg

A juicy 23.6 " LCD for $160!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254044