Is it a 4870 problem?

mport9491

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hello guys,

I'm kind of a computer noob and I just started building my own computer.

CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Memory: Corsair 4gb (2x2) 800 mhz
Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
1 DVD drive
1 HDD - WD 320 gb
GFX: Diamond Radeon 4870
PSU : 500W ATX12V Power

I'm having some problems with it:

1. I play Dragon Age Origins, sometimes out of nowhere the display just goes black and the video card's fan gets noisy, what's the problem with that? Sometimes the game hangs which opts me to alt+f4 and shut the computer down safely and sometimes it just freezes. The 4870 is a powerful card and it needs 2 6-pin PCI-E plugs to get it working, is the problem here my PSU? Should I upgrade it?

2. I'm using an LG 18.5 inch LCD monitor, sometimes the BIOS procedure (the black screens with the BOOT setup thingy when you start your computer) does not show and the only thing the monitor would seem to work is when the Desktop part is fully loaded, why is it like that?

3. I'm currently in the Philippines, its still pretty hot here, i got 3 fans on my case, 1 CPU fan, and the video card fan AND, i leave my computer case open so that it could be well ventilated. What would happen if my 4870 gets insanely hot? Like around 80 degrees? because the normal temperature of this card is at around 55 - 57 degrees.

mport9491

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

22.0A.

And it's a RAIDMAX. :)

Found the problem! Its a Raidmax! :(

22A on the 12V rail provides 264W of power from the 12V rail, the 4870 has a TDP of 150W, the Q9550 has a TDP of 95W, thats 245W and there are a bunch of other components that draw power from the 12V rail. Try to get a good 500 or 550W PSU from Corsair, Antec, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, or Seasonic if you can. A good 500W PSU will have atleast 36A of combined 12V current, preferably closer to 40A.

And to answer part 3 of your OP, 80C is still well within the safe range for a GPU, insanely hot is mid 90s for a GPU so i doubt heat is your issue, you are likely running out of power.

mport9491

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

Cool, thanks for the quick answer man. I got the PSU with the case for just 99 bucks. Now i know. But what explains the loud noise the 4870's fan make?

And yeah, I bought this computer back there in the US. It worked fine, no crashes or anything, because maybe I wasn't playing intense games like DA:O?

So, anyways... I don't have enough cash for a good PSU atm. If I remove all the power connections for 2/3 of the fans and the connection connected to the DVD-ROM, would the computer perform better?

leon2006

Distinguished
Kuya mport9491

mport9491.

Get a good name brand power supply (Antec, Corsair, Enermax...etc) that will fix your problem. It will require a bit more money but it will protect your more expensive hardware.

Fans are minimal loads and that won't make a big difference on your power supply load. Get a good reliable power. Here we spent ~$ 150 to $200 on PSU alone to take care of critical load. There is no way around it.

Noise of the FAN when GPU is Active:

When there is an increase load of GPU activity the FAN speed is increased to protect the GPU from overheating. That is normal.

HEAT IN THE PHILIPPINES:

If you can't afford PC case like Antec 902/1200, Cooler Master HAF 932, 922, or equivalent you need to modify your case to PUMP more air IN and PUSH HOT AIR OUT. The biggest heat load are GPU, CPU, HD, then optical drives. Find ways to modify your case to attain that.

Part of your problem is the Ambient(ROOM) temperature is pretty high. You need to improve the air circulation inside your case.

I like Balot, Adobo, Sisig and Pancit + San Miguel.

Salamat

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

If you haven't set your fan speed manually in Catalyst Control Center (CCC) then the fanspeed increases with heat and GPU load. Everytime CCC loads the fan control settings, it revs up the fan to max speed for a second. No one knows why, some think it is a dust removal maintenance feature. When your card crashes from lack of power, it may need to reload the drivers, going through the startup fan blast again. Maybe, heh.

General PC use like surfing, videos and music, do not use much power. 3D games do. The more intense the game, the more power your card will use.

Removing those components might gain you some ground towards allowing the card to run, but barring a PSU upgrade, may not help at all. What might help is going into your CCC, and downclocking the card so that it uses less power. If that doesn't work, then a better PSU might be the only answer.

Also important to note, is if you are running the PSU to its max, and it is a cheaper unit, when it fails it may take other computer components with it. That is a risk you have to take into consideration.

leon2006

Distinguished
Kuya mport9491

When you play games there is a considerable increase of load on the GPU(4870) & CPU. Your power supply don't have the current capability to sustain the demand. Thats the reason your computer shutsdown. Your hardware goes to undefine state.

Go to greenhills or SM get yourself a good case (Antec, Cooler Master) and a good brand(Antec, Corsair, OCZ, Enermax...etc) power supply.

Salamat

mport9491

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
@JofaMang: Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll go with the "upgrade your PSU" plan. I'll try downclocking too if I got time. :)

@leon2006: LOL, thanks man. :) I'm going to take a look at the PSU's in Greenhills this weekend, hopefully I get the one I want. And yeah, I couldnt afford all those good computer cases, so I just left the computer case open with an external electric fan cooling the computer directly. Would that help? :)

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

If you are already running with the case open, adding a housefan may lower temps a little bit, but I highly doubt that is your issue here. 80-90c load temp for a 4870 is not harmful, and completely in a normal range. If you were breaking 100c, it might be of concern. To be sure, download GPU-Z and enable background updating in the sensors tab so that you can see the temps over time, just be sure to check it before the computer crashes.

A new PSU might be the best answer, I just was trying to offer diagnositc procedures or temperory solutions considering your concern for cost. Perhaps before you purchase you can borrow a decent PSU to make sure that is the issue?

leon2006

Distinguished
Jay_I_a, JofaMang

mprt9491 primary problem is PSU....Thats given.

Heat Problem from high Ambient temp:

I have visited that country multiple times. The ambient temperature on residential area can vary bet 30C to 40C. Most residence don't use AC at home.

I brought Antec 900 to my friends over there to deal with the heat related issues.

mport9491.... Track your temp with close case. If GPU temperature go beyond 90C when you are playing games, then you may need to run with open-case.

Salamat

mport9491

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hi guys, so basically now I've got the money for my PSU.

Now it's to choose between the Corsair HX620w or the Corsair TX650w.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these psu's? I don't know what HX or the TX means. Also, I would want to know if the 620W provides sufficient power to get my computer running perfectly. Thanks!