Problems using audacity with Conexant Pebble High Definitin SmartAudio on Window

plaguitar

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hello,
I am trying to get my sons laptop to use the Conexant Pebble High Definitin SmartAudio on Windows 7 with Audacity software. I cannot get Audacity to use the sound card to record. Any one else have this problem and have a solution to fix?

plaguitar

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

Whatever dude, i'm new to this and wanted a simple answer but I guess a primadonna like you thinks they have to bestow the alL powerful "I know everything and you know nothing BS" statement instead of providing the help I really need. BTW I did not double post , I only submitted this question once and don't know how it ended up on here twice oh great and powerful BS!

There is no need to insult me "dude". I simply posted here and linked to the other so all the answers would be under one post. This avoids confusion. There are two posts and I did nothing to indicate this was your fault.
I would have answered your post in the link if I knew the answer. I apologize for not being an all knowing person who can answer all questions.

Edit: perhaps I see where you got confused. My post was for others so they can all answer under one forum post.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Since you're new to this, let me help you with posting style. First of all, it's best to be polite when meeting strangers--for your own safety, if for no other reason. Give the stranger the benefit of the doubt at first. There was a revealing study done about this very thing. Bear with me. Some university invited programmers to write a program that would interact with other programs in a sort of game with simple rules: The two "players" meet. If one "strikes" while the other does not, the aggressor gets 5 points and the victim gets nothing. If they both strike, they each get one point. If they both do not strike, they both get three points. They players meet repeatedly in a sort of round robin. It turns out that the winning strategy was to always be passive on first meeting. If your opponent is passive too, always be passive with that opponent thereafter (unless struck). If the opponent strikes, strike back on next meeting him, but be passive on the third and subsequent meetings (unless struck again, whereupon you strike that opponent next time then go back to passivity). This is a counterintuitive result, but its logic is revealed upon careful study. Our friend Enzo seems to understand the principle, because he continued to be helpful, this still being part of your first "meeting".

Second, it's particularly easy to misunderstand the other guy in internet forums, and on the internet in general. I don't think anybody knows why that is, but I guess it has to do with the difficulty of expressing oneself in writing rather than speech, and the absence of cues like facial expressions and body language. Longtime newsgroup posters and forum denizens make it a rule to be meticulously, excrutiatingly polite until all doubt is gone that the other guy is an asshole, even in the face of umbrage and insults. (By the way, the same thing applies to Americans in France.) Again, our enzo passes with flying colors.

Third, everybody here is a volunteer. We don't work for you or for Tom's Hardware. Nothing happens to any of us if your problem goes unsolved. We are just a random assortment of folks who think they know something about computer sound, and would like to help other people get the whole mess straight the way we have been helped in the past.

Fourth, when you mess with the wrong person on a forum, you can start a "flame war". To "flame" (from the dragon's flame, I've always imagined) is to post a message attacking another poster, much as you have done here. If enzo had retaliated in kind, that would be a flame war. Flame wars are a waste of time, they get people upset, they are a distraction from the purpose of the forum, and they are in fact forbidden under penalty of banishment on many forums. They are also terrific fun, but a pleasure we must forgo. There are newsgroups dedicated to flame warring, if you want to indulge.

plaguitar

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Petrofsky,
Thanks you for your clarification but I hardly think Enzo's initial curt reply of "You Got A Deletion Wish?" was hardly polite or courtious. Maybe its best I find a more knowledgable, understanding and polite group to ask my questions to. Apparently you all are more concerned about your "regulars" feelings than addresssing the questions (newbies such as myself pose) and not trying to find answers to said questions.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Ah, now I see. That was not his reply, that is merely the stupid phrase he has put with his avatar, like the one I have with mine: "Prepare to meet the challenge of the New Frontier". (From Steely Dan, by the way.) "Do you have a deletion wish", though admittedly unfriendly on the face of it, is not directed at anyone in particular, it being nothing more than a computerized play on words after "Do you have a death wish?"

That is correct. It is from a television show popular with kids in the mid 1990's. ReBoot was actually the first completely computer animated TV series and proudly Canadian. The play on words is one of many in the show as the show takes place "inside" a computer where the characters are "sprites" and "binomes". A pretty humorous show

I'm sad to hear that you are able to take things so very seriously and with insult. I mean no offence by anything I have said or done an apologize if I had. I would also gladly help you, if I had the knowledge set.

I hate to say it but if you go most places with your mindset, you will only be insulted again and again without giving people a chance. Speaking in text is not as easy as with voice, and it is easy to misinterpret. But if you always go in thinking people are out to get you... well then you will be disappointed.

I notice that you still haven't gotten a reply in your other thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275559-28-problems-audacity-conexant-pebble-high-definitin-smartaudio-window

If you reply to yourself and type the word "bump" it will bring your thread up in the forum so others can see it again, and hopefully have an answer.