Sign in with
Your question

HD installation, was ext. now int. how to use it

Last response: in Storage
October 30, 2011 8:55:00 PM

I have a WD 2TB hard drive that I was using for puting pictures, music, videos on, I opened it and want to use it with the sata speed not usb, Its asking me to format it so it can be NTFS, but my point is not to loose any Data on it, ive been searching alot And dont seem to find a way. thanks for your help

More about : installation ext int

a c 116 G Storage
October 31, 2011 12:33:54 AM

All data will be lost when you format the hard disk. You should back up the data somewhere else, and then you can format the disk.
m
l
October 31, 2011 1:15:12 AM

well thats the point, I DONT want to have to format it, Since its new its been usb pluged to my PC I just want to have it internal now, what ever has been writen on it, was done from that same PC and its only data on it, no programs, OS, w/e
m
l
Related resources
a c 116 G Storage
October 31, 2011 1:23:21 AM

wazup_shorty said:
well thats the point, I DONT want to have to format it, Since its new its been usb pluged to my PC I just want to have it internal now, what ever has been writen on it, was done from that same PC and its only data on it, no programs, OS, w/e

Connect it as an internal HDD and start using it. Do you have the necessary SATA data cable as well as the SATA power cable to connect the drive?
m
l
October 31, 2011 9:29:06 AM

yes, tried it, tried to populate, initiate in disk management, but it says it needs to be formated to creat a NTFS partition, Im curently getting it scaned by easeus to retreive the NTFS boot, and It might just work, but 2TB to scan is long so im just witing right now
m
l
a c 372 G Storage
October 31, 2011 11:00:51 AM

The controller in the enclosure might be doing some kind of weird translations on the data making it unreadable internally. If this is the case, you will need to back up the data while it's in the usb enclosure, then move the external drive to an internal slot and initialize it. Now you can copy your data back onto it.
m
l
October 31, 2011 12:31:57 PM

Lets say I got 600gb used on the 1.9**tb total, It also was defraged regularly, would it be possible, to Partition half of the harddrive (without loosing data) some how transfer the Data to the new partition that would now be recognized as NTFS and then partition the 2nd half as NTFS, the easeus program is still reading my disk, I want to see what I will be able to do from there.

**my question right now is would it be possible to create a NTFS Partition on my hardrive for the Half that as no data on it, format it to be able to use it. **

And then I beleive with the easeus scan I will be able to read the data from the unreconized partiton and copy it to the newly created NTFS partition??

Ill make sure to post update of my results, witch should be in ~14h lol

m
l
a c 372 G Storage
October 31, 2011 12:37:32 PM

I doubt it will work. If the computer can't recognize how many partitions are on the drive and where they start at, trying to create a new partition will probably hose it up.

You should never use partition software without backing up first anyhow, unless you don't care about the data on the drive.
m
l
October 31, 2011 1:22:12 PM

Ok. thanks for helping, Ill see were this brings me, I dont have anything to important on that drive(19000 song, lots of movies and some picture backup), Its still working fine being pluged in usb, Im just asking how can I use it as a Sata :S
m
l
a c 291 G Storage
November 2, 2011 10:49:34 PM

Many WD external models incorporate 128-bit AES hardware encryption, whether or not you have set a password. This encryption is handled by the bridge IC on the USB-SATA bridge board. When you connect such a drive directly to a SATA port on your motherboard, your OS will see jibberish.

To prepare such a drive for internal use, you need to repartition and reformat it in Disk Management.
m
l
!