Problem with OCZ Z650 - need advice for RMA

Phaedrus567

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Question:
Will an OCZZ650 PSU run my system build below? OCZ says it should, and the review on Newegg has a similar graphics card (Radeon 5850)

System Build:
OCZZ650 PSU
Sapphire Radeon 5850 with 10.1 Catalyst (tried with 9.12 as well)
Logitech G35 headset
Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H
1TB Western Digital Caviar
2x2gig G. Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

Full Story:
I've tried two OCZ Z650 PSU's. Everything seems to work fine (Memtest, Prime95, OCCT, Furmark). That is, until I try and run oblivion (I'd try another game, but that's all I have at the moment - Haven't gamed in years sadly).

The first PSU would have my system instantly shutdown once I got a minute or two into the game (the 3D Part).
The second PSU would do this within seconds. Also can hear a light high pitched noise when doing anything graphically "intense" (OCCT test, Starting Game, Switching Tabs in Windows 7 Aero)

the instant shutdown would result in
1) a restart (may or may not show safe mode option by windows)
2) System would completely shut off
3) System "off" but the fan on the GPU would run at full tilt and then either restart or require a soft off)

OCZ is offering to replace the unit again with either another OCZZ650 or a OCZ700FTY. All things equal I want the OCZZ650.

Phaedrus567

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
On the original PSU, I did run the OCCT's PSU test. As I recall, the first test showed a lot of errors (but I've never used the test before and I don't have the results saved - stupid me) but a second longer test seemed fine. I also didn't run two programs together because I got the impression OCCT was suppose to max out the PSU.

I will try it on this second PSU in a moment and report back with what happens.

The one bit of information I forgot to add in the original post (sorry) was when this first happened, I convinced a friend to lend me their Antec Truepower 750 and suddenly all problems disappeared (just tested Oblivion and found it didn't crash anymore - didn't go farther than that). I tried this again with the second OCZ PSU when it showed the same symptoms and used a corsair TX750 and all problems were solved. (The 750 watt selection was by chance, I don't think I can get my hands on a 650 watt PSU to test).

Phaedrus567

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, finished a quick test ~40 minute test (would do longer, but the problem is nearly instant

Ran Furmark at 1920x1080 with Post-Processing and 8xMSAA and Prime95 Blend test during Furmarks test.

No errors on either, GPU maxed around 80°C (typically 78)

Then tried Oblivion again, crashed within 15 seconds of loading the 3D.

I'm truly at a loss. I'd say it was software except for the fact that changing the PSU seems to help. Could it be a faulty 12v Rail? Or the amperage on those rails? I really don't know my way around that issue so I'm just taking a shot in the dark based on posts I have read.

Two additional questions:
1) Is there a list anywhere of what kind of amperage the 5770 and the 5850 need? All I've seen are general "around 40 amps" for both.
2) How normal is it to hear a high pitched tweeting from the PSU that varies with intensity of the GPU? It's not overly loud, but it exists and I don't hear it in the other PSU's I use.

Again, thank you all. I'm at my wits end after 2 months of dealing with this one issue.

40 minute's of OCCT means the problem isn't a lack of power, no game will use as much power as the test.
I'm not big on software voltage readings, but you could check the 12v graph that OCCT generates and see if it show's large swings.
Don't know of a site that tells the cards amperage, but you can find wattage's here
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
and do the math, W/V=A ( the 5850 uses about 12.5a peak )
The high pitched squeal could be capacitor whine, my GTX260 did it when I was using an HX620.
I have a TPN750 running the system now and no whining, but I also never heard it with any of the other psu's I've run the system with, there's been a few.
If you're going to RMA the z650, I'd give the Fatality700 a shot to see if it stops the squeal.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Phaedrus567

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Thank you JohnnyLucky, I ran across that while looking for solutions. By those recommendations this should be working (I thought anyway).

Delluser1
Thank you for all of your help. Sorry to be dense on the calculations. I'm just doubting the PSU so much that I wanted confirmation from someone that it may work.

I will end up RMAing this item regardless, but I did one more test with OCCT PSU test with a Shader complexity of 0, it runs with no errors but a ripple of 1.17% on the 12v changing between 11.77v to 12.49 every 30 seconds. Not really sure if thats normal or not.
Additionally, If I increase the shader complexity (tried 4 and 8) I get nearly instant crashes.

If anyone has any comments on that last test, I would be interested if it means anything. But ultimately I'll am going to RMA the device and hope for the best.

Thanks again

It's not really "ripple", you need an oscilloscope to measure that, it's voltage fluctuations.
Like I said, I'm not big on software but those numbers don't seem too bad.
At default the test ran fine, but when increasing shader complexity it crapped out ?
I'd suspect the card or drivers.

Phaedrus567

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
"Kid, I've RMA'd more computer parts than you've seen in your life"
Sorry, just preparing what I might say to my child one day. :p
I'm going to end up RMAing the whole system at this rate.

Anyway, I've contacted Sapphire and will post their general response when they get back to me if they think the card could possible be bad.

I did do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit when I made the system, so their shouldn't be a conflict from previous versions but I will attempt a fresh install of the drivers and see if I can try some older ones as well (I don't think they go beyond 9.1 for the 5850 though).

I really appreciate the help. And will post whatever solution I may run into.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmm seems that the 57/58xx bug is at play possibly.....

the last time i suggested a voltage up to make it more stable for someone with a semi-failing machine didn't help when their temps shot up, sooooooooo RMA this and don't worry

man i have gotten lucky with my 5870....

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
btw do you have a spare rig or two to test the components individually?

maybe do the boot and try with one stick of ram and just the card and cpu method?

maybe don't hook up the additional power cables to limit it into low power mode and going into a game (may not help at all and may just make it crash more often rofl).

Phaedrus567

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
57xx/58xx bug? Is this the fabrication problem they were having or something else?
I just tested the hotfix for the grey vertical bars (only saw it happen twice and never in conjunction with the problems I've been describing).

I did attempt a single stick on the first PSU because one of my ram chips was faulty and had to be RMA'd as well (seeing a trend?). But I can attempt it again.

For power cables this is all that is hooked up:
24pin ATX Cable
2x SATA power (HDD and CDRom)
2x Molex (Case fans)
2x 6pin PCI-E cables (Into the video card)
2x 4Pin CPU cables into the motherboard

Only thing I can remove is the case fans and they are running at low anyway.

Finally, I may have a system I can test in. I built a system for my girlfriend that isn't far off from my own system (see, I can build computers when the stars are just right), but she is using it for school and after the problems I've had she is more than a little leery of my digging around in her computer. We'll see how this goes.