A decent solution for an aging system

the_zeppo

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hey everybody,

I'm looking for a GPU that can play new games at a decent resolution/framerate, and I thought this would be the place to ask for advice. I was recently given a PC with these specs:

Athlon 64 X2 4400+
DFI Lanparty NF4 board
3GB PC3200 RAM
500W PSU with 2x 12v rails (22a on each)

I bought a PNY GT 220 about a month ago as a temporary solution since it was on sale, figuring I'd use it for a HTPC or something similar later on. I've been fairly impressed with the performance of this card, as it can play Crysis on medium, but I'd like to be able to play games like Dragon Age and (when it's released) Bioshock 2 on high levels at a decent frame rate. My budget is about $120-150. Am I going to find anything that will outdo the GT 220, or should I just stick with what I have until I'm ready to buy a completely new system in a year?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Looks like there's a thread with this topic already, sorry about that. However, I should mention that my motherboard is unable to use an ATI card (windows blue screens every time when I have on installed). Thanks again.

You should look at GTS250 and 9800GTX+ as maximum cards for that rig from the geforce side. Comparable ATI cards would be HD4850 and HD5750. Anything faster would not run at full potential because of the cpu. If you get a good deal on any of these cards you cant go wrong.

TRENDING THREADS