Sign in with
Your question

BIOS chip or MB (A7N8X Deluxe)

Last response: in Motherboards
June 9, 2010 5:43:08 PM

The other day I switched on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 MB and got no video signal (yellow LED on monitor) as well as no other activity or indications. After removing all cards, dusting off CPU heatsink and MB, reseating DIMM’s and Vid card & swapping Vid card I still had the same indications. So I decided to remove the RTC/Setup battery and reset BIOS to defaults. Upon boot I got video and was able to enter the setup utility but as soon as I “saved any” changes I got the same indications as mentioned above. So I reset again, and again got video and was able to enter setup but was unable to “save any” BIOS settings without it reverting back to the “black screen of death.” I repeated it several more times to ensure that it was consistent, and it was.

So my question is: with the indications above, can anyone tell what the probability is that the problem is the BIOS chip or that it’s the MB circuitry that supports the BIOS chip. I really don’t want to spend the money on the chip just to find out it’s the board.

TIA,

Joe

More about : bios chip a7n8x deluxe

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 10, 2010 2:02:31 AM

You can try a new motherboard battery. The round lithium cr2032 is only $2-3 at many venders and may stop the bios resets which can be caused by a weak battery.
m
l
June 10, 2010 2:46:53 AM

o1die said:
You can try a new motherboard battery. The round lithium cr2032 is only $2-3 at many venders and may stop the bios resets which can be caused by a weak battery.

Thanks much for your effort, but you misunderstand. A week battery is not causing the BIOS to reset to factory defaults. I took out the battery and purposely reset to defaults by shorting the "RTC reset" solder pads on the MB.

The MB dies with a "black screen of death" when I try to "SAVE" "ANY" BIOS settings at all. I mean if I just set the clock and select "Exit and save BIOS settings" it crashes. Only when I again remove the battery and reset the BIOS to Factory Defaults do I get video and then able to enter the BIOS setup utility.

But thanks just the same.

Joe
m
l
!