Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2009 6:29:00 PM

I just bought a pc for my family that has the ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics. I am finding out this isn't really a graphics card? Can I replace this with a REAL graphics card? :( 
Thanks
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 6:35:32 PM

Sure. What you should get depends on your budget, resolution and PSU.
m
l
December 2, 2009 7:25:47 PM

So I can disable this and put in a real pciexpress or pci graphics card correct? How would I disable this, does Windows see it as a normal graphics card?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 7:45:32 PM

Your system should automatically recognize and use a discrete video card. You can fully disable the IGP in your BIOS if you desire.
I wouldn't recommend a regular pci video card. They aren't very good and unlikely to be much of an improvement on your IGP if at all.
December 2, 2009 7:55:52 PM

if the pc is for your family, what are you going to do with it? if they don't game, it should be fine!
m
l
February 12, 2010 3:44:49 AM

If you install a graphics card, you could also have it work in tandem with the on board HD 4200. Please correct me if i am wrong.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2010 4:37:55 PM

pleasenoname said:
If you install a graphics card, you could also have it work in tandem with the on board HD 4200. Please correct me if i am wrong.

only the low end cards can hybrid crossfire with the onbaord

@OP depending on what you do, the 4200 might be fine (ie a family computer/work computer)
m
l
February 12, 2010 5:43:06 PM

I had the HD3200 and it is a great graphics option for the money seeing as it was built into the Mobo. If the HD4200 is anything like it just go ahead and use it for some light gaming, if your Mobo supports it overclock the GPU by about 200mhz and you'll also notice a little boost.

If you really want to do some gaming though at higher resolutions and smooth frame rates go with a PCI express graphics card. The Hybrid graphics isn't worth it for most people unless a compatible card is just given to you from a friend, but if you're looking to buy a graphics card then look at around at prices and get something decent. I just picked up a GTS 250 for 117$ from Microcenter and its a huge improvement from the IGP.
m
l
!