I have a decent pc setup!

GATEWAY FX6800-01E
INTEL QUAD CORE 2.66GHZ WITH TURBO BOOST TECH
3 DDR3 RAM @ 1066MHZ
750.00 GB HARDDRIVE
WINDOWS 7 32BIT
ATI 4890 1GB DDR5 VIDEO CARD
ATT U-UVERSE 20MBPS INTERNET CONNECTION

BUT... i feel like my pc is still laggin in some areas.... for example... and its dumb but my buddy has a pc, thats alot lower in specs in every category but still seems to beat me in loading times during online games.. it may not be a big deal, but for me its a big deal especially after i dumped alot of money into a machine. and in general perfomance, my pc seems like its not running like its suppost to...

now i know that gateways motherboard is not good... i mean i cant even oc anything... or even try to upgrade the ram speed...

so my question to you guys is.....

what changes can i do to my set up so i can make this even a better pc..? more ram?... different OS? different mother board. or what can i change? settings? ya know?

i just hate the fact that when im playing company of heroes, my pc is always last on loading times ect... when they have slower speeds AND OLDER HARDWARE...

thanks again guys.... i dont know if u guys have ever been in this situation? but please help open to suggestions...

fbram

daship

Distinguished
Run HD tune on yours and his if his HDD is faster, there lies the issue.

I bet his hard drive is faster.

Other then that you probably have more processes running then him or maybe anti virus running, or you might have malware.

fbram

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
thanks for the reply ...

i play games like company of heroes, command and conquer , crysis, age of empires 3 sim city ect///

i got 750GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive with 16MB Cache5 is that fast? or do i need faster?

So in that case I assume by online you mean something like you're both loading a map to play from a game and his loads first. Is there any chance you can give us information on his system specs?

Also the spyware, viruses etc, I agree could be a possibility. Did your computer always feel this slow?

Also is there any possibility that he was loading the map a second time (ie he still had information about the map in his ram?)

fbram

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
sometimes we would load the same map to play again... but he always out performs me... hes goig to go home and check what model his pc is so i can send u the specs.... thanks again in advance for all ur help guys i will get back to u guys asap!

Check what background processes you have running and also what Anti Virus are you running vs. what he is running as those will make a difference - Also with U-verse the internet connection is very fast but sometimes the latency is higher than other internet connections ( Go HERE and run the Ping test to see how your rating is ) which will make a difference in load times - Are you connected through the Lan port of the router or are you using the Wireless connection as wireless sometimes slows things a bit also.

fbram

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
OK MAN,

i got his specs.....

GATEWAY FX8040 PC

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core processor with VT

* Each core operates at 2.40 GHz
* 2 × 4 MB L2 cache
* 1066 MHz front bus

3GB DDR 2 RAM 667 MHZ
500 GB HARD DRIVE 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce® 8800GTS video card with 320 MB on board memory
ATT uverse 10mbps connection
WINDOWS VISTA 32BIT

ALSO I DONT HAVE ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE NEVER LIKED THEM...

fbram

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

bump

We really can't compare the hard drives without more details on the hard drives. you're asking us to compare a no name brand 750GB drive to a 7200rpm no name drive.
As for the ram, you failed to give us the brand and timings.

Now, one more question, in some games, the server must load the maps first. Does he load the entire map before the bar starts moving for you?

You don't have anti-virus because you never liked them? You probably have a virus trojan or whatever then. do a scan with avast.

TRENDING THREADS