Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Did I fry my computer?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 10, 2012 9:14:11 PM

Hi,

I recently put together my first non-crappy computer, I wanted to have a shot at overclocking without really knowing what I was doing, I went to the Bios, went to advanced, then went to OC tuner, pressed enter, then it gave me a little window and I pressed ok to that, then my mobo made a loud beep and everything in the computer turned off, the power button on the case doesnt work, I tried toggling the power supply off and on and nothing happens, did I fry my computer?

here are the basic components I put into my computer

ASUS P9x79 Mobo
Intel 3930k (with hyper 212 heat sink)
Gskill 64gb 1333
Crucial 256gb SSD
Nvidea gtx540 SLI (2 of the same card)
corsair 80+gold 850W PS

I was running windows 8 Beta if that matters

More about : fry computer

May 10, 2012 10:03:46 PM

Take the little battery of your motherboard and clear your cmos, you can find how to do it on page 2-22 of your manual. Make sure to put it back in normal and your battery back in when you're done.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2012 10:10:26 PM

^+1. Always seems like the first solution to try when something like this happens.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2012 10:10:51 PM

bondy3 said:
Hi,

I recently put together my first non-crappy computer, I wanted to have a shot at overclocking without really knowing what I was doing, I went to the Bios, went to advanced, then went to OC tuner, pressed enter, then it gave me a little window and I pressed ok to that, then my mobo made a loud beep and everything in the computer turned off, the power button on the case doesnt work, I tried toggling the power supply off and on and nothing happens, did I fry my computer?

here are the basic components I put into my computer

ASUS P9x79 Mobo
Intel 3930k (with hyper 212 heat sink)
Gskill 64gb 1333
Crucial 256gb SSD
Nvidea gtx540 SLI (2 of the same card)
corsair 80+gold 850W PS

I was running windows 8 Beta if that matters

Yeah, reset cmos. There should be a jumper if you don't want to remove the batery.
Many overclockers become quite familiar with the reset cmos. If your board comes with a software overclocking utility, you may want to give that a try to kind of dial in what is stable before you go changing things in the BIOS.
m
l
May 10, 2012 10:13:41 PM

Also... why the HELL would you put two GTX 540s in SLI ?!?
m
l
May 10, 2012 10:26:48 PM

firedice said:
Also... why the HELL would you put two GTX 540s in SLI ?!?

I meant 560's, Sorry that was a typo.

m
l
May 10, 2012 10:40:11 PM

CoolBOBob1 said:
Take the little battery of your motherboard and clear your cmos, you can find how to do it on page 2-22 of your manual. Make sure to put it back in normal and your battery back in when you're done.

I located the clear CMOS button on my Mobo in the manual (page 2-17, not 2-22) and I pressed and held it down, but didnt do anything
m
l
May 10, 2012 10:45:02 PM

You have an ASUS P9x79 or do have one of the other versions: Deluxe, Pro, or WS?
m
l
May 10, 2012 11:05:51 PM

you can try to reset your bios this way

unplug your power cord
remove cmos battery
push power button on the computer case a few times

then replace battery, plug in your computer and see if that works
m
l
May 10, 2012 11:18:00 PM

flank21 said:
you can try to reset your bios this way

unplug your power cord
remove cmos battery
push power button on the computer case a few times

then replace battery, plug in your computer and see if that works

is there any way I can reset the bios without taking out the CMOS battery?
m
l
May 11, 2012 4:59:54 AM

took the battery out, unplugged the Mobo from the P.S. held down the button on the Mobo for over a minute, then put the battery back in, and reattatched the Mobo, and tried to turn it on, still nothing :( 
m
l
May 12, 2012 12:42:09 AM

don't unplug the 24pin motherboard connector lol

unplug the 3 pin power cord from the AC outlet/surge protector
remove the cmos battery
press power button a few times

replace battery
plug 3 pin power cord back in

if it doesn't work after that you may have fried the mobo
m
l
May 12, 2012 4:05:59 AM

flank21 said:
don't unplug the 24pin motherboard connector lol

unplug the 3 pin power cord from the AC outlet/surge protector
remove the cmos battery
press power button a few times

replace battery
plug 3 pin power cord back in

if it doesn't work after that you may have fried the mobo

so because I unplugged the 24 pin connector to the Mobo and then took out the battery and then pressed the CMOS reset, it didnt reset the Bios? and I should try it without unplugging the mobo but still unplugging the P.S.?

if the motherboard is fried, does that mean I lost my CPU, RAM, video cards, power supply etc?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2012 4:13:24 AM

It is exceedingly unlikely that you caused any damage. Asus motherboards are absolutely notorious for having POST problems for the first few firmware revisions. I'm the proud owner of a Rampage IV Extreme which is quite similar to the P9X79 series and it only the most recent firmware revision has been stable.

EDIT: What I want you to do is try and boot up with only one stick of RAM and one graphics card
May 14, 2012 2:01:33 AM

I figured it out! my power supply blew up :( 

put in a 700W P.S. from another build with only 1 graphics card and it started up fine...
m
l
May 27, 2012 8:40:00 PM

Best answer selected by bondy3.
m
l
!