Solved

Did I fry my computer?

Hi,

I recently put together my first non-crappy computer, I wanted to have a shot at overclocking without really knowing what I was doing, I went to the Bios, went to advanced, then went to OC tuner, pressed enter, then it gave me a little window and I pressed ok to that, then my mobo made a loud beep and everything in the computer turned off, the power button on the case doesnt work, I tried toggling the power supply off and on and nothing happens, did I fry my computer?

here are the basic components I put into my computer

ASUS P9x79 Mobo
Intel 3930k (with hyper 212 heat sink)
Gskill 64gb 1333
Crucial 256gb SSD
Nvidea gtx540 SLI (2 of the same card)
corsair 80+gold 850W PS

I was running windows 8 Beta if that matters
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer
  1. Take the little battery of your motherboard and clear your cmos, you can find how to do it on page 2-22 of your manual. Make sure to put it back in normal and your battery back in when you're done.
  2. ^+1. Always seems like the first solution to try when something like this happens.
  3. bondy3 said:
    Hi,

I recently put together my first non-crappy computer, I wanted to have a shot at overclocking without really knowing what I was doing, I went to the Bios, went to advanced, then went to OC tuner, pressed enter, then it gave me a little window and I pressed ok to that, then my mobo made a loud beep and everything in the computer turned off, the power button on the case doesnt work, I tried toggling the power supply off and on and nothing happens, did I fry my computer?

here are the basic components I put into my computer

ASUS P9x79 Mobo
    Intel 3930k (with hyper 212 heat sink)
    Gskill 64gb 1333
    Crucial 256gb SSD
    Nvidea gtx540 SLI (2 of the same card)
    corsair 80+gold 850W PS

I was running windows 8 Beta if that matters

Yeah, reset cmos. There should be a jumper if you don't want to remove the batery.
    Many overclockers become quite familiar with the reset cmos. If your board comes with a software overclocking utility, you may want to give that a try to kind of dial in what is stable before you go changing things in the BIOS.
  4. ^ +1 Mobos are pretty resilient to these kind of problems - start over at factory defaults. Read a little bit about OCing and start small.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers
    -Bruce
  5. Also... why the HELL would you put two GTX 540s in SLI ?!?
  6. firedice said:
    Also... why the HELL would you put two GTX 540s in SLI ?!?

I meant 560's, Sorry that was a typo.
  7. CoolBOBob1 said:
    Take the little battery of your motherboard and clear your cmos, you can find how to do it on page 2-22 of your manual. Make sure to put it back in normal and your battery back in when you're done.

I located the clear CMOS button on my Mobo in the manual (page 2-17, not 2-22) and I pressed and held it down, but didnt do anything
  8. You have an ASUS P9x79 or do have one of the other versions: Deluxe, Pro, or WS?
  9. CoolBOBob1 said:
    You have an ASUS P9x79 or do have one of the other versions: Deluxe, Pro, or WS?

i think its pro, its this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131800
  10. you can try to reset your bios this way

unplug your power cord
    remove cmos battery
    push power button on the computer case a few times

then replace battery, plug in your computer and see if that works
  11. flank21 said:
    you can try to reset your bios this way

unplug your power cord
    remove cmos battery
    push power button on the computer case a few times

then replace battery, plug in your computer and see if that works

is there any way I can reset the bios without taking out the CMOS battery?
  12. took the battery out, unplugged the Mobo from the P.S. held down the button on the Mobo for over a minute, then put the battery back in, and reattatched the Mobo, and tried to turn it on, still nothing :(
  13. don't unplug the 24pin motherboard connector lol

unplug the 3 pin power cord from the AC outlet/surge protector
    remove the cmos battery
    press power button a few times

replace battery
    plug 3 pin power cord back in

if it doesn't work after that you may have fried the mobo
  14. flank21 said:
    don't unplug the 24pin motherboard connector lol

unplug the 3 pin power cord from the AC outlet/surge protector
    remove the cmos battery
    press power button a few times

replace battery
    plug 3 pin power cord back in

if it doesn't work after that you may have fried the mobo

so because I unplugged the 24 pin connector to the Mobo and then took out the battery and then pressed the CMOS reset, it didnt reset the Bios? and I should try it without unplugging the mobo but still unplugging the P.S.?

if the motherboard is fried, does that mean I lost my CPU, RAM, video cards, power supply etc?
  15. Best answer
    It is exceedingly unlikely that you caused any damage. Asus motherboards are absolutely notorious for having POST problems for the first few firmware revisions. I'm the proud owner of a Rampage IV Extreme which is quite similar to the P9X79 series and it only the most recent firmware revision has been stable.

EDIT: What I want you to do is try and boot up with only one stick of RAM and one graphics card
  16. I figured it out! my power supply blew up :(

put in a 700W P.S. from another build with only 1 graphics card and it started up fine...
  17. Best answer selected by bondy3.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computer Overclocking Product