Overclocking while using iGpu: any notable setback?

gmkos

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Very simply, anyone have experience overclocking a CPU while using the integrated graphics? Does it cause any issues or limit OC potential? (i.e. generating significantly more heat)

My previous system didn't offer integrated graphics so this is all new to me. I don't have the video card yet for my new system, but would like to start overclocking the CPU. I won't be gaming in the mean time, just stress testing with p95. I won't be changing the BCLK voltage or anything like that.

Thanks.

shivanthing

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
You could overclock it, I never have myself since im on a p67 board. But make sure you have decent cooling to begin with...

Honestly I wouldn't risk overclocking it... I think it may umh, in a manner of speaking. "Disrupt the natural order of things." And it may even cause damage as well. I don't have any experience overclocking integrated graphics- but when my friend did that his laptop overheated in seconds of gaming and he got plenty of artifacts, although you'll definitely have much better luck with a desktop with proper cooling, it just seems out of the ordinary. Like TheBigTroll said, use an old graphics card if possible, and buy a new discrete graphics card ^-^ Depending on your processor, the new radeon 7850 looks very promising once the prices start to drop down a bit. (Just wait till nvidia's 6xx line is fully released, should be even better :pt1cable: )

If you're doing it for benchmarks, I just say go for it if you know what you're doing! 24/7 though I wouldn't trust it...

Well since my gpu died and is currently going through EVGA I have been using my IGPU HD 3000, first of all in order for me to have overclocked my IGPU i had to raise my voltage for the processor itself in order to get 1800mhz stable. Then I was also able to overclock to 4.8ghz using a 1.425v voltage! I will tell you, the cpu package temperature is what the IGPU temps are at! Higher cpu temp=higher IGPU temp.

shivanthing

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Ohh I misread :\ darn ADHD :(

Well ocing cpu WHILE USING igpu... I don't see the harm as long as you have proper cooling... But I still reccommend an old graphics card and then ocing the cpu. And then buying a new graphics card later. intel HD 3000 and even HD 4000 just isn't that good for most tasks.

dknydiep

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I OC'd my 3570k to 4.5 at 1.25v. Cooled with Corsair H100. My max temp was on core 2 at 72 degrees.

You should be fine, but you'll bottleneck because of the gpu. I'm waiting for the elusive 680 gtx to ship, but Amazon has been lagging.