Sign in with
Your question
Closed

MOTHERBOARD INTEL S5520SC MOTHERBOARD AND XEON E5520

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2010 8:50:55 PM

Hello: PLEASE HELP with the choice of a power supply for the new workstation I am building:

Here are the components:

MOTHERBOARD: INTEL S5520SC
PROCESSOR E5520
12GB RAM - KINGSTON - REGISTERED - ECC - 1333 MHZ
INEXPENSIVE GRAPHIC CARD FOR THE MOMENT: ONLY PNY QUADRO FX 580

I have a problem with the power supply and case: I need a power supply with 2x8pin EPS. I did not find any power supply with 2x8 pin EPS with less than 1000 watts. The motherboard cannot draw more than 670 watts. I understand it's only for the components that draw power from the Motherboard. What is safer for the motherboard ? Single or multi rail ? If multi rail, is the amperage of each 12volts important ? should it be high ? For example ANTEC QUATRO 1200 gives 38 A per rail of 12volts, Silverstone only 17A, but it allows you to use either single or Multi on their ZEUS MODULAR ZM1200.

Also: should the case be hotswap, removable motherboard ? I am hesitating between SILVERSTONE TJ10 or the new LIAN LI (but it is very expensive), unless you have other ideas for me, which I would appreciate very much.

THIS IS URGENT. Thank you for your help.
February 17, 2010 4:03:07 AM

Wattage is a potential output. If the motherboard only draws 670 watts that doesn't mean you can't have a 1000 watt PSU. Remember the video card and the HDD and the DVD driver will all draw some wattage as well.

I have a ZALMAN ZM1000-HP 1000W.

Related resources
February 17, 2010 5:18:46 AM

Gandalf said:
Wattage is a potential output. If the motherboard only draws 670 watts that doesn't mean you can't have a 1000 watt PSU. Remember the video card and the HDD and the DVD driver will all draw some wattage as well.

I have a ZALMAN ZM1000-HP 1000W.

Hi Gandalf:

Thank you very much. I finally understood, but now something else happened.

I did not know that zalman had 2x8pins EPS 12 VOLTS. Has it ? Is it a good power supply, quite ?

I thought of buying silverstone TJ10 CASE and their power supply ZEUS ZM1200. But now I am concerned about two things:

They give for their six rails EPS 12VOLTS: 17 A each (Intel gives at least 20 A, and ANTEC for their QUATRO 12000 give 40A for each). Is this difference in amperage important ? Which one should I chose: lower or higher amperage ?

Also, many people said that when they bought different cases than Intel case, they ran into problems with fan controls.

So, I am asking myself if I won't be better off buying INTEL CASE SC5650WS.

Can you please give me an advice ?

Thank you very much.

Josymich
February 17, 2010 5:56:03 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ultra Quiet 140mm Fan
Dual Heatpipes: Quiet Operation & Max Cooling
Six Independent +12VDC Outputs
Active PFC: PF Up To 99% & Reduces Distortion
Standby Noise Filter Switch
Sleeved Modular Cables
Gold-Plated Terminals & 16AWG Wires
EZ Grip Connectors for ODDs & HDDs
ATX 20+4Pin Main Connector
ATX12V CPU 4-Pin & EPS12V CPU 8-Pin
2 x PCI Express Power 6Pin
2 x PCI Express Power 6+2Pin
High Efficiency Design - 80 PLUS Certified
Over-Voltage Protection
Over-Current Protection
Short-Circuit Protection
Under-Voltage Protection
Over-Temperature Protection
Complies With WEEE & ROHS

Outputs:
+3.3V@40A,
+5V@40A,
+12V1@18A,
+12V2@18A,
+12V3@28A,
+12V4@28A,
+12V5@18A,
+12V6@18A,
-12V@0.8A,
+5VSB@3.5A

What do you need 2 x 8pin EPS 12V for?
One for the CPU. What's the other one for?

I have my system up 24/7 crunching World Community Grid jobs.
Click on my More Information > Member configuration if you what to know my whole system. Yea, I put it together myself and it's not my first system just my best one.
February 17, 2010 9:22:49 AM

Hi Gandalf:

I am also building a workstation/ server later/ with Intel motherboard S5520SC, 2 processors E5520, Video card PNY QUADRO FX 580, 2 RAID HARDRIVE FROM SEAGATE, 12GB OF RAM - ECC - REGISTERED. I will add other hardrives (ide and sata, perhaps SAS or even SCSI (I have an old scsi CARD - VERY PERFORMANT). I need 2 x 8 pins because I have two processors and they each need 8 pin EPS.

tHE ZALMAN POWER is nice, but has only one 8pin 12 volts. Also, it seems that the amperage fluctuates: it has 17a, 18a, and 40 a. How much is this important ? that is really my main concern. The silence does not come from the power supply, but from this particular motherboard, so it seems, that regulate fans and need to have special configuration (or software) to control the noise.

This is why I am confused.

Please tell me how to get to "more information" about your build tomputer. Can you tell me what you have ? Thanks. Michele
February 17, 2010 1:21:28 PM

Gandalf said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ultra Quiet 140mm Fan
Dual Heatpipes: Quiet Operation & Max Cooling
Six Independent +12VDC Outputs
Active PFC: PF Up To 99% & Reduces Distortion
Standby Noise Filter Switch
Sleeved Modular Cables
Gold-Plated Terminals & 16AWG Wires
EZ Grip Connectors for ODDs & HDDs
ATX 20+4Pin Main Connector
ATX12V CPU 4-Pin & EPS12V CPU 8-Pin
2 x PCI Express Power 6Pin
2 x PCI Express Power 6+2Pin
High Efficiency Design - 80 PLUS Certified
Over-Voltage Protection
Over-Current Protection
Short-Circuit Protection
Under-Voltage Protection
Over-Temperature Protection
Complies With WEEE & ROHS

Outputs:
+3.3V@40A,
+5V@40A,
+12V1@18A,
+12V2@18A,
+12V3@28A,
+12V4@28A,
+12V5@18A,
+12V6@18A,
-12V@0.8A,
+5VSB@3.5A

What do you need 2 x 8pin EPS 12V for?
One for the CPU. What's the other one for?

I have my system up 24/7 crunching World Community Grid jobs.
Click on my More Information > Member configuration if you what to know my whole system. Yea, I put it together myself and it's not my first system just my best one.

Hi Gandalf:
I forgot to tell you that my motherboard supports 2 processors XEON. This is why I need 2 x 8 pin 12 VOLTS.

Where can I find your "member configuration"? can you send me the link please?
Thanks
June 28, 2011 9:07:08 PM

hi, i have only just stumbled upon this post and didnt know how old it was but i am building the same sort of 'super computer'...

I have 2 Xeon cpu's and 48gb of 1333mhz ecc ram and i need a power supply that has 2 x 8pin 12 volts...

The thing is, a power supply like that doesnt exist in the normal pc modifying world, you gotta go out and get a server psu or 'redundant psu' as they are called. They are quite pricey tho which had put me off, but, im going to be using a mid-range psu from OCZ...

Its only a 650 Watt and only has one 8pin 12volt cable, but what i intend to do is to buy an 8 pin to molex cable so i'll have 2 in total !

Sort of cheat in that regard, anyhoo, thought this info might help you avoid spending a small fortune on a server psu, link below just in case you are still in the same boat!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=22...
!