Sign in with
Your question

XFX 750a SLI SATA Ports

Last response: in Motherboards
June 9, 2010 9:07:49 PM

I recently upgraded my PC with 2 more SATA hard drives (Total of 4 now.) and according to my manual and all specs I've seen my board should have 6 SATA ports, which it does. But my SATA ports are arranged in a 3x2 array and the first 4 (2x2) are all black and the last 2 (1x2) are white. I plugged in my 4 hard drives into the 4 black ports and I plugged in my DVD drive into one of the white ones and it wasn't recognized. I thought this may have been a port problem so I put it in the black area and put one of the hard drives into the white area (not the same port) and this time the DVD drive was detected but the hard drive wasn't.

Does anyone know why these 2 ports aren't working and if they are locked or something does anyone know how to unlock them.

Thank You!
June 9, 2010 10:27:26 PM

No one knows the problem?
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2010 12:04:46 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
The white SATA ports will only work in AHCI mode. You should be able to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS and get all 6 ports to work. The problem is that will require a re-install of your OS.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-32852....

Well the re-installing OS is no problem, I was planning on doing that anyway but I am planning on running some of my drives in RAID before installing my OS. I can't do that in AHCI can I?
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
June 10, 2010 12:34:33 AM

They should work in both RAID and AHCI mode. Everything I read said the white ports were meant for either RAID or AHCI.
m
l
June 10, 2010 1:14:59 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
They should work in both RAID and AHCI mode. Everything I read said the white ports were meant for either RAID or AHCI.

Ah, I feel very stupid right now, it worked perfectly. Thank you for the help.
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
June 10, 2010 4:48:22 AM

No problem. Glad you got it working.
m
l
March 30, 2011 2:11:35 AM

chotai said:
No one knows the problem?

the reasonwhy they dont work is because u have to turn them on in the bios the only problem is that you have to re install windows cause your choices are raid and hcei witch require you to load special controler drivers from nvidia during instalation of windows. i have 6 drives 2 t apice and i had to do all that plus it helps to have an ide hard drive too in case you ever have problems you can use that to boot and access info.
m
l
!