oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
im looking for a good power supply for my current system which is: a 2.8ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ddr2, 1 harddrive, 1 cd writer, and a geforce 9300. I plan on swapping out the graphics card for somthing along the lines of an ati 4890 or 5770. Im looking for a good psu over 500 watts, for about $80. I need some recommendations on a good psu, i do most of my shopping at newegg. Thanks for the help!!!!

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

i have narrowed it down to neo 620 and this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005, im concerned the most of getting a faulty unit and frying my system.

The Corsair TX650 is an excellent high quality power supply. Corsair has a reputation for high quality psu's. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable, reliable and come with a 5 year warranty.

I am afraid I cannot say the same for OCZ. A few weeks ago I read quite a few technical reviews of OCZ power supplies. I could not help but come to the conclusion that the quality of their product line is inconsistent. The OCZ ModXtream Pro, StealthXream Pro, and GameXtreme Pro 700 watt power supplies are all average psu's with the same problems. OCZ left out a couple of important features that are standard on high quality units.

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

ok i purchased the corsair cmpsu-650tx 650w, only problem is idk if i should've of gotten the 750 watt. Due to the fact the my build will be a possibly (5870) crossfired system, for sure an i-7 most likely the 920, 2 harddrives and 2 cd writers. did i make the right choice?!?!

You'll be fine. The high quality Corsair TX650 is quite capable of delivering 700 watts at peak load.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Spiff73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hello JohnnyLucky,
I read in the Corsair web page that the TX650 has 2x (6+2)-pin connectors. So in order to use the HD5850 in CrossFireX this PSU would be lacking two 75 watt connectors (four are needed in total). So I believe that a Corsair TX750 or the modular version HX650 (which does indeed has 4 connectors) would be needed. Is this correct in your opinion?

Many thanks!

Spiff73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Many thanks shovenose, I didn't know these even existed but it makes a lot of sense. One other thing that stands out when comparing the Corsair PSU's to its competitors is that Corsair uses a single 12V line whilst others typically employ 2, 3 or even 4 12V lines with less Amps each (typically 18 to 25A). I believe that, originally, the idea behind this was to ensure a more stable power supply to the components but I guess Corsair thinks otherwise. Can anyone comment on the points for and against? I am very close to choosing a Corsair TX650 PSU.... just need to clarify this.

Not at all. A well designed multiple rail PSU will be set up such that you can fully load any of the connectors that you want and not overload any single rail. Honestly, as long as the PSU is well designed, it doesn't matter whether it has several rails or just one - it will work great either way. Besides, most "multi-rail" PSUs have a single actual rail, with several current-limited outputs.

Basically, single vs multi rail doesn't matter, so long as the PSU is well designed.

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

do it!!!!! i got mine and i must say im impressed, awesome build quality and 5 year warranty rocks