XP and 98se conflict

I have 98SE on the C: drive and need to put XP on the d:
drive soley so that I can use my sony 101 dvd camera. Does
anyone know if this is possible and have a dual boot
capability.

XP has to be the worst thing ever put on a disc, so please
dont suggest running my machine totaly on XP.

Thanks

Paul
3 answers Last reply
More about 98se conflict

    paul

    i have a similar setup on my system. dualboot with 98SE
    on c: and XP pro on d:. i don't remember the specifics of
    the installation process, but i remember it being quite
    simple. basically (i'm assuming you have two drives or a
    partition or whatever setup) and that you already have
    98SE installed on c:. from what i remember correctly you
    run the XP install, and when it gives you the option of
    upgrading (overwriting an existing copy of windows) or
    installing a separate version of windows, chose the
    latter. when you boot up there will be an intermediate
    screen with your boot choices you w/ill have XP and 98.
    on mine XP is the default boot and if you dont' hit a key
    in 30 seconds it automatically boots that one. i'm not
    sure if you can change that at all

    basically...it's pretty easy

    nsr

    If 98SE is installed, assuming your system meets the minimum hardware
    requirements you can run XP and dual boot. You can either begin setup from
    the 98SE desktop and be sure to select new install as opposed to upgrade and
    during the installation you will be given the option to choose on which
    partition to install XP. Be sure to choose a separate partition, during
    this type of setup, XP will create its own boot manager or, rather than
    doing it this way, if you have your own partitioning and boot management
    software and it is XP compatible you can use that instead.

    Some prefer using a third party boot manager because in this setup, the XP
    boot information will be placed on the C drive and if you at some point wish
    to dump 98SE, you would have to reinstall XP in order to make it bootable as
    well as changing the drive on which it resides to the C drive. However,
    given your feelings about XP, this wouldn't seem to be an issue for you.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Paul Johnson wrote:
    > I have 98SE on the C: drive and need to put XP on the d:
    > drive soley so that I can use my sony 101 dvd camera. Does
    > anyone know if this is possible and have a dual boot
    > capability.
    >
    > XP has to be the worst thing ever put on a disc, so please
    > dont suggest running my machine totaly on XP.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x/Me and WinXP
    would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

    C: Primary FAT32 Win9x/Me/Legacy Apps
    D: Extended NTFS WinXP/Modern Apps

    Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
    size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
    applications.

    Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
    disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
    utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

    Install Win9x/Me first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
    D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
    directory. When you subsequently install WinXP, be sure to specify
    "D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
    asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
    partition. The WinXP installation routine will automatically set up a
    Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
    readily edited from within WinXP. NOTE: If you elect to place
    Win9x/Me on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as
    FAT32.

    This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
    placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
    of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
    second operating system on the second hard drive.

    It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
    applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
    formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
    also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
    placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
    program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
    however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
    such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
    uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
    installation data during the first uninstall action.

    Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers