Sign in with
Your question

Ridiculous temperatures on nearly 1 year old system.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 11, 2012 6:47:09 AM

Hello,

For starters I have had 0 issues with the performance of my Computer, I bought it for gaming and that is what I am using it for.
A few days ago a friend of mine told me to look at my pcs temperatures and I found that some temps look totally insane....
therefore I am now worried of the health of my system and I am looking for help regarding this.

I bought my pc fully assembled from a known company in Holland called Alternate.nl, the following system:

Behuizing

Uitvoering Midi Tower
5,25 inch, extern 5 bay(s)
3,5 inch, intern 5 bay(s)
Formaat (BxHxD) 200 x 440 x 475 mm

Voeding

Omschrijving 80 PLUS Gecertificeerd
Vermogen 600 Watt

Processor

Omschrijving Intel® Core™ i7-2600K
Kloksnelheid 4x 3400 MHz
Level 1 Cache 4x 64 KB
Level 2 Cache 4x 256 KB
Level 3 Cache 8192 KB
Instructieset SSE 4.x, Intel 64
Bussnelheid 5000 MT/s
Geheugen Controller
Geheugenkanalen 2
ECC-geheugen wordt ondersteund Nee
Registered-geheugen wordt ondersteund Nee
Fully Buffered vereist Nee
Core Sandy Bridge, 32 nm
Max. Stroomverbruik 95 Watt
Bouwvorm FC-LGA4
Socket 1155

CPU-koeler
Stock koeler

Geheugen

Omschrijving 8192 MB DDR3
Totaal capaciteit 8.192 MB
Aantal modules 2
Standaard DDR3-1.333
max. 32.768 MB mogelijk

Grafisch

Grafische chip NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Interface PCIe x16
Geheugen 1.536 MB

Chipset

Intel® P67 Express

Moederbord

Aansluitingen 2x USB 3.0, 8x USB, 1x PS/2, 6x Audio, 1x Optisch, 1x Coaxiaal, 1x RJ-45, 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI

Netwerk
Gigabit-LAN, WLAN (300 Mbit/s)

Optische drives

LightScribe
Blu-ray-Brander

Harde schijf

2,5" SSD, 120 GB, SATA III / TRIM
3.000 GB, SATA III / 64MB

CardReader

Formaten SD, SDHC, MMC, MS, MS PRO, MMCPRO, miniSD, RS-MMC, MS Duo, MS PRO Duo, miniSDHC, microSD, microSDHC

Features
Sharkoon system Fan 120mm, WL-364 WLAN adapter

Besturingssysteem
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (OEM)

thats the system copied specs from the website, in dutch.

But here is the part that worries me... and for good reason my friend tells me, he says I should stop using my system and get back on my laptop... I would If I did not have 2 years warranty :p  so I'm worried that one day my pc will die but it's not a money issue.
My CPU temperatures are around 60 degrees when its Idle and theres a motherboard temperature for 93C.. I don't know what to make of this and I am really worried.

heres what HWmonitor registers for me...

Thank you ;) 

More about : ridiculous temperatures year system

a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2012 7:45:59 AM

Your CPU is a bit warm but that's nothing to worry about. Did your PC come with the stock cooler or did they install an aftermarket one? If it's the stock cooler, that's about what I would expect from a shitty install job. If you're comfortable doing some maintenance work you should replace the thermal paste and make sure that the heatsink is properly secured. A decent cooling job should have it sitting at around 45C when idle. As for the 95 degree motherboard sensor, that's probably inaccurate because the other sensors would be MUCH higher too, plus you would be able to feel it if you ran your hand over the board carefully (try not to actually touch it). See if there's a firmware update for your motherboard
May 11, 2012 9:17:41 PM

First thing to check first is the KIND of warranty that you have. Several retailers don't allow their customers to open a pre-built PC on their own and doing so usually voids their warranty!!!

If that is the case, just take it back to them and have them check it themselves.

Regardless, if that's indeed the temperature the motherboard reads (and it's not a problem with CPUID's readings) then it's def. wrong. The CPU couldn't possibly only be 60C when the MB is at 95.

Theoretically, one scenario would be that a single part on the MB (like the northbridge or sth) has a fan that has failed and the temperature rises locally whereas the rest of the system stays cooler. However, I can't imagine that much of a margin between the coldest and hottest area (30C to 95C).

More likely like Pinhedd said it's a wrong temp reading that's usually fixable with a BIOS update.
Related resources
May 12, 2012 12:57:19 AM

Thank you for the responses and yes I also found out that my MSI motherboard can not properly monitor its temperatures with thirdparty software (iv spoken with support from MSI) he told me to feel if there was actually warmth coming off the board (which there really was not) and if there wasn't to simply ignore these readings.
As for my CPU, I cleaned them out with compressed air and they now run at +/- 45 degrees. The airflow in my case is fine but not optimal + my cpus stockcooler is pretty much its minimum requirement to cool it down so I think if I want it on lower temps I should go with Pinhedds suggestion and add a better cooler.
Thanks allot for your feedback it made me think and set some good steps, much appreciated guys.
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2012 1:59:58 AM

Installing a third party cpu heatsink and fan is probably the single most important thing you can do to help reduce cpu temperatures. Don't forget to remove all of the old thermal compound from the cpu and apply fresh thermal compound.
May 12, 2012 2:07:56 AM

holy shite.....what id be worried about is the 8 volts on your 12 volt rail....id test the validity of that!!!
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2012 2:12:11 AM

badtaylorx said:
holy shite.....what id be worried about is the 8 volts on your 12 volt rail....id test the validity of that!!!

That's definitely incorrect, not only is it horribly out of spec to the point that the machine wouldn't even post, it's not fluctuating at all when it should vary a little bit. This lends further support to my hypothesis that HWmon simply can't read the MSI hardware reports correctly
May 12, 2012 11:51:48 AM

yeah...hwmonitor kinda sucks.....

i use Real Temp GT 3.70

it's quite accurate....
!