Sign in with
Your question

OCZ Vertex Hangup

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2011 8:19:04 AM

I am on ab out a year and a half with no problems with my ssd until today. I woke up, powered on my PC,and walked away for a minute coming back to" reboot and select proper boot device". I restarted it noticing the hash mark blinking on the screen for about 30 second before going to the bios, sits on bios for a few second then reads the message. I have seen alot of posts about the problem but would like to know what the problem is and how to fix it. Also it is not recognized in the bios.

System specs: Phenom XII 945 3.0, Asus crosshair formula III, gtx260, OCZ 650w power supply, 8gb OCZ Plat ddr3 ram

More about : ocz vertex hangup

November 1, 2011 12:10:32 AM

ok so looks like i had the same issue. answer this first. boot your computer, go into the bios and tell me what mode your sata drive are in ahci or ide. if your ssd is in ide it needs to be in ahci. be forewarned that more than likely you need to do a whole reinstallation of your os....
m
l
November 1, 2011 6:57:44 AM

gqsmooth said:
ok so looks like i had the same issue. answer this first. boot your computer, go into the bios and tell me what mode your sata drive are in ahci or ide. if your ssd is in ide it needs to be in ahci. be forewarned that more than likely you need to do a whole reinstallation of your os....

It was in IDE switched to AHCI and it is still not seen by the bios, why would this do this all of a sudden?
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:57:23 PM

I don't know why it does this. Apparently these OCZ SSDs are prone to this kind of thing. Did you update the firmware? Here's what I did to fix everything.

First put your SATA back into the last good mode you had. Then do this.

1. Unplug all other drives other than your SSD from the motherboard.
2. Update the firmware following these directions.
3. Clear the CMOS on your mobo, and remove the battery. Unplug the machine and the SSD from your PSU. Let everything drain for 10-15 minutes.
4. Reconnect the SSD and boot back into the BIOS and see if it is detected.
5. If it is, put it in AHCI mode and reboot back into the BIOS to make sure it is still showing up

Let me know here if it isn't detected after all of this. If it is:

6. Boot into a Ubuntu Live session and format the drive to whatever type of filesystem you will be using. NFTS/FAT for windows EXT for Linux...

If you are using Windows 7 and you go to do a your fresh installation and the drive does not show up as available in the setup screen but it was showing up in the BIOS follow these steps now:

After booting into the installation disk, at the welcome screen press shift+f10 and a cmd window should pop up. Enter "diskpart" (w/o quotes), then "list disk". Your SSD should be listed here, note which disk number it is listed as. Enter "select disk x" (where x is the number of your disk). Then enter "clean". Cochise! Finish your install. Also be sure to check out the "Useful SSD Articles Part 2" topic in these forums for some suggested tweaks to your disk to optimize for Win 7.

Let me know if this helps.
m
l
!