What is the CM 212 Evo made off? Liquid Pro anyone?

Hellstalker

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Im was thinking about trying Coollaboratory Liquid Pro since they claim is far better than yada yada yada but they are pretty insistent that Liquid Pro IS NOT TO BE USED WITH ALUMINUM HSs.
Now Ive read the CM 212 Evo description and it says aluminum fins but judging by the looks off the contact plate (the actual contact area with the CPU) seems to be made of copper, can anyone confirm this? I wouldnt wanna waste $15 on TMC that I will not use.
Also, does anyone have first hand experience with Liquid Pro?

Thanks

Any decent high end heatsink is going to have a copper contact, or at least copper pipes running through the contact.

The stuff that comes on it is decent, using aftermarket paste is going to net you 2c difference at the most.

I suggest Tunique TX-2 or TX-4.

keeperos

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Yes, the fins are aluminum but the heatsink on the 212 EVO actually consists of the heatpipes themselves, which, of course are made of copper.

They advise against the aluminum coolers because IIRC the material it is made of reacts to the aluminum and ends up amalgamating with the cooler!!!

Hellstalker

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Yes Liquid Pro will cause a chemical reaction with any aluminum surface, including the IHD, and make a hole in it. Scary stuff... Im beginning to think its not much of a good idea to use it.

Check out the Thermal Roundup in my sig, it won't just make a hole in the aluminum base it will destroy it!

This is what the aluminum warning liquid metal products do to aluminum!

The longer it stays in contact the more damage it does, it attacks the metals integrity and even the areas not touched further from contact turn brittle.

The picture above is after leaving it in the aluminum channel overnight, and the morning dew even accelerated the deterioration process.

One additional point I could not include in the roundup because long term testing was not equally applied to the rest of the thermal contenders, since it was the last tested TIM I left it setup and running, after running it for 2 weeks on the heat sink it would not damage, the performance actually began degrading.

The best Thermal Compound I tested was the Timtronics Grey Ice 4200, and it has not only been time tested, but of all the thermal compound choices I presently have to use, it is my preferred choice.