Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom II X4 965 Vs Phenom II X4 940

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 11, 2010 12:38:35 AM

I just found out my AM3 board does not support the phenom ii 955 and 965 and im gonna go with the 940 instead of buying a new motherboard and memory since DDR3 and DDR2 barely have a difference, but im wondering whats the difference between the 940 and the 965 when benchmarked at the same clocks? Also add suggestions if you like on my little plan

More about : phenom 965 phenom 940

a b à CPUs
February 11, 2010 1:12:47 AM

Isn't Phenom II 940 AM2+ and not compatible with AM3? You might mean the Phenom II 945.

The Phenom II 945 and 955 are even clock for clock, if that wasn't obvious already.

The 940 however is about 5% slower max in games compared to the 945. In some games there is no difference, some games show 5%. I'd say it isn't a noticeable difference no matter what game you're playing. Some of the 5% could be due to DDR3 ram but like you said, that doesn't make much of a difference.

*Edit/Add:* If you are using an AM3 mobo make sure you use DDR3 ram and an AM3 socket CPU. If your mobo is limited because of a wattage cap (can't support the 955/965's 125w+) then see if you can use the 95w version of the 945.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just know this isn't a BE CPU so you'll have to rely on the quality of your motherboard to get a strong overclock, if you're into that. :) 
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 1:18:44 AM

Raidur said:
Isn't Phenom II 940 AM2+ and not compatible with AM3? You might mean the Phenom II 945.

The Phenom II 945 and 955 are even clock for clock, if that wasn't obvious already.

The 940 however is about 5% slower max in games compared to the 945. In some games there is no difference, some games show 5%. I'd say it isn't a noticeable difference no matter what game you're playing. Some of the 5% could be due to DDR3 ram but like you said, that doesn't make much of a difference.

*Edit/Add:* If you are using an AM3 mobo make sure you use DDR3 ram and an AM3 socket CPU. If your mobo is limited because of a wattage cap (can't support the 955/965's 125w+) then see if you can use the 95w version of the 945.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Oh my board is compatible with am2+/Am3, Its the TA790GX 128M. I only went with the 940 because its the best phenom ii i support that's black edition.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2010 1:22:45 AM

Ah. :) 

Guess I answered the question anyways, I just looked at your config and noticed you were using DDR2 lol. :) 

Yeah the 940 is 125w so its probably not a wattage thing, they might have just not patched the bios or simply can't, if the AM3s aren't supported.

If the 940 is the best you can get without getting a new mobo, then go for that before taking the full upgrade plunge, 100%.
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 1:25:33 AM

No the motherboard i have doesn't support the 955 and 965 only, other AM3's are fine, but do you know anything about the performance difference if the 940 is clocked the same as the 965?
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 1:34:12 AM

Next year i plan on building a system with the Thuban that's coming out in the future
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2010 4:22:12 PM

Raidur said:


The Phenom II 945 and 955 are even clock for clock, if that wasn't obvious already.

The 940 however is about 5% slower max in games compared to the 945. In some games there is no difference, some games show 5%. I'd say it isn't a noticeable difference no matter what game you're playing. Some of the 5% could be due to DDR3 ram but like you said, that doesn't make much of a difference.



The 945 is clocked at 3.0 ghz, and is just as fast as the 955 when clocked at 3.2. So if the 940 is slower than the 945 by 5% it is safe to assume the 955 will have the same difference. :) 
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2010 7:14:51 PM

Phenom II X4 940 should perform the same clock for clock as a Phenom II X4 955/965 if paired with the same memory and same northbridge speed. The 955/965 have higher default northbridge speed, and usually get paired with DDR3 memory instead of DDR2, otherwise the processors are the same.

I think I have the same motherboard as you, but I've got a Phenom 9850 sitting on it. I want a new C3 Phenom II X4, but my BIOS support ended with the first AM3 chips, the 925/945.
m
0
l
February 15, 2010 1:52:17 AM

loneninja said:
Phenom II X4 940 should perform the same clock for clock as a Phenom II X4 955/965 if paired with the same memory and same northbridge speed. The 955/965 have higher default northbridge speed, and usually get paired with DDR3 memory instead of DDR2, otherwise the processors are the same.

I think I have the same motherboard as you, but I've got a Phenom 9850 sitting on it. I want a new C3 Phenom II X4, but my BIOS support ended with the first AM3 chips, the 925/945.

If you want any help with that talk to this guy on the overclock.net forums, he got the phenom ii x4 965 working on the 790GX 128M :
User:judgementofgod
Link: http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/536479-biosta...

Ask him for help, hes been a big help to me so far
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2010 8:54:34 AM

xeonyxorich said:
If you want any help with that talk to this guy on the overclock.net forums, he got the phenom ii x4 965 working on the 790GX 128M :
User:judgementofgod
Link: http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/536479-biosta...

Ask him for help, hes been a big help to me so far


It is interesting to see that someone has it working even though it's not officially supported, but I feel no need to replace the Phenom 9850, and I probably won't for a long time. I've already got a Phenom II 940 in another computer that I use for gaming.
m
0
l
February 15, 2010 4:22:17 PM

loneninja said:
It is interesting to see that someone has it working even though it's not officially supported, but I feel no need to replace the Phenom 9850, and I probably won't for a long time. I've already got a Phenom II 940 in another computer that I use for gaming.

Well, i just found a great find :

http://www.lejabeach.com/Biostar/TA790GX128M/

Look at the right where it shows the bios

They officially support it :D 
m
0
l
!