ASUS P5KPL-CM stuck in PCI Express x1

Kahn20

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hello everyone,

While searching for information on a completely different issue, I stumbled across the diagnosis for a problem I've been having since I got this PC in October 2008. Often while playing games, I would sometimes experience crackling sound and less than stellar performance, given my hardware:

Mobo: Asus P5KPL-CM
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
RAM: 2GB DDR2-800

I didn't think much of it for a long time, as I rarely played newer games until recently. Although sometimes less than ideal, games ran much better than on my old PC, and I thought maybe I was just overestimating my current specs.

However, earlier tonight I came across this article and the corresponding forum thread, which seemed to describe all of my gaming-related problems.

I looked in PC Wizard 2010 to verify the problem, and sure enough, it seems that I am stuck running on PCI Express x1, rather than x16.

The appropriate option in the BIOS (PEG Force x1) is already set to Disable, and despite looking over the documentation, I cannot find a way to enact the other solutions given by TechARP through the P5KPL-CM's seemingly limited BIOS. Can anyone help me by offering a solution that works for the P5KPL-CM? Thank you.

Kahn

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Are you overclocked? What BIOS version are you running?

Try to disable the Internal Graphics Mode Select. It may release the PCIe lanes for the PCIe x16.

The BIOS is very limited on that board.

I had a P5B Deluxe WiFi/AP and when I overclocked that board with mt X1900GT it would go to x1 and on stock settings to x16. Then a BIOS update fixed that IIRC.

1Haplo

Kahn20

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Thank you for the suggestions.

I am not overclocked. I am running BIOS version 0514 (August 14, 2008).

I tried disabling the Internal Graphics, but that did not work. I suppose I should try upgrading the BIOS next, although the TechARP article said that doesn't work. I suppose it can't hurt too bad to try.

Any other ideas?

samuelkawl

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i have aproblem that when i press the switch their is nothing display but the cpu fun is correct and the power is ok.
Icannot go to bios setting the keboard isnot function

samuelkawl

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i have aproblem that when i press the switch their is nothing display but the cpu fun is correct and the power is ok.
Icannot go to bios setting the keboard isnot function

Machforr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Hi. I think I found the solution to your problem. I had the same one until just a few moments ago. Of course, you might not have that board anymore but nevertheless.

The board´s bios being as limited as it is, the only option I had left, out of desperation, was to increase the board frequency.

You set the AI Overclocking to MANUAL and simply put 201 in the mhz box. That did the trick for me. Hopefully it will do the same for yours.

Cheers, Richard