Power supply to Graphics Card problem

rvjones10

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Help my PC is sitting on the dining room table

I just put together a new system with my old modular 630w power supply. I bought a ati5850 which requires two 6 pin PCI Express power connects. Problem I just noticed is on my modular power supply one connection is 6 pin and one is 8 pin (I thought they were both 6). My initial thought was I need an adapter for the 8 pin reduce to 6, or a complete 8 pin male to 6 pin male connector, but i'm not sure this is a kosher move. I don't want to take chance with my new equipment. The card did come with a 6 pin connect that runs from two separate peripheral connections on the power supply. But again I don't know enough about power supplies to be confident with that or any of these arrangements. Can someone offer help on this?

Power supply -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152026

Graphics card -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161302

side note: reason I have this power supply is that I wanted to wait a year and grab another 5850 and upgrade the power supply then. In other words my wife won't let me buy it now.

Solution
Relax ! welcome to the forums

go ahead and use the connectors supplied with the card. There wont be any issues and as far as power requirements are concernded, you hav head room for doing crossfire with another 5850

Lutfij

Titan
Relax ! welcome to the forums

go ahead and use the connectors supplied with the card. There wont be any issues and as far as power requirements are concernded, you hav head room for doing crossfire with another 5850

Solution

albero78

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hi all, more or less same question here. My configuration is
mother board Asus PCQL PRO
Intel E6300
2 gb RAM
Video CARD PCI express Sapphire ATI HD 4850 512mb

The computer runs fine and never crashes. But I am disappointed by the 3d performances in the games.
I play men of war, imperium civitas and Assassin creed. The games lags a bit (or a lot) and even if I decrease resolution and details it doesn't improve.
I know my PC is not an high-end, but still....

Now it came in my mind an idea: could it be possible that the power supply is not sufficient?
My Power Supply is indeed old; here's a picture.

Could the power supply affect the 3d performaces?
As far as I know the answer is no. What do you think?
[I have also an external Hard drive always connected]

ALso the 8-pin power connector could be used in the 6 pin outlet (just connect the correct 6 pins -leaving the 2 extra black wires unconnected)- the only difference between the 8pin and 6pin connector is the addition of 2 ground wires on the 8pin so the 8pin plug can still be used in the 6 pin outlet by just leaving those 2 pin unconnnected (or you can remove those two pins from the plug using an exacto knife or dremel ( before modifying it check and ensure that the plug does not already seperate as most of the 8pin CPU connectors are actually 6+2 pin with the 2 pin being removeable from the socket)

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Yea, you are right, the PSU don't affect the performance of the rig AT LEAST that the PSU don't be enough. Are you running the game from the external HDD? I think that the source of the problem could be the RAM or the GPU.

albero78

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hi Saint and thanks for your warm welcome.
I am running the game from an internal HD drive.
I have only one hard drive with two partitions and I am running the game from the second (biggest one).

What do you want to say when you think that the prob could be in the ram or in the GPU? defected? It would sound strange to me since the system is running pretty fine: it never crashes and it stays on all day.

It has also been formatted just after the installation of a new motherboard, one month ago.

What he is saying would be that it is the speed of the GPU or amount of RAM that you have. In looking at your specs I'd say the most likely cause is the combination of your E6300 CPU and only 2GB of system Ram - since the system will use just under 1GB for the Operating system etc. that only leaves about 1GB for the game to use which at times is probably causing the system to use the swap file on the HDD which really slows down gameplay. And also the E6300 can cause some slowdowns in very CPU intensive games.