128GB SSD: Crucial m4 or Samsung 830?

mgrmgr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi guys, I really need your opinion. I want to buy a 128GB SSD and two pretty obvious choices for me are Crucial m4 and Samsung 830. The pros of each of the disks in my opinion are:
M4:
- over 6 months on the market - tested & reliable, plus it is taken care of (new firmware that boost the speed)
- cheaper ~10 euro
- slightly faster in random IO?
830:
- generally slightly faster
- comes with mounting tray
- nicer case?

Did I forget to mention something?

Yeah, I guess 830 is a little better choice, but it's completely new and untested, so it's like buying a cat in a box.
What would you guys do?

I would go with the trustworthy Crucial M4. I would have gotten it if it was available when I got my OCZ Vertex 2 SSD...

A lot of people have had good dealings with it.

Besides the speed difference between the samsung and crucial would be pretty much nill in real world usage, plus, the crucial is 10 euros cheaper.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I've had my 128GB for about 5 months and have had zero problems with it, so that is my vote. No experience with the 830, but I will echo Chainzsaw in that you won't see a noticeable performance difference.

mgrmgr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

You mean, you have a Crucial m4 and are happy with it?

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
That's exactly what he means. I'm in the same boat as you and am planning on getting the m4, because it is reported to have faster random speeds which is MUCH more important. (also reliability)