Closed Solved

Getting a copy of windows 7

I'm thinking of building my own computer and I was wondering if it would be possible to buy an old unboxed Vista or XP OS and then buy the windows 7 upgrade so as to save some money. Windows 7 costs around 100$ retail but the upgrades are only around 30$. What stops people from doing what I'm proposing?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about getting copy windows
  1. I think because it is messy if you need to rebuild your system, you would need to install vista, then 7.

Not sure if you can upgrade from xp to 7
  2. Best answer
    velif said:
    I'm thinking of building my own computer and I was wondering if it would be possible to buy an old unboxed Vista or XP OS and then buy the windows 7 upgrade so as to save some money. Windows 7 costs around 100$ retail but the upgrades are only around 30$. What stops people from doing what I'm proposing?

I would guess that most people wanting W7 already own XP. I don't see anything wrong with your plan provided you buy a legitimate copy of XP or Vista. My understanding is that you must actually install the old OS to use the upgrade version.
  3. ram1009 said:
    I would guess that most people wanting W7 already own XP. I don't see anything wrong with your plan provided you buy a legitimate copy of XP or Vista. My understanding is that you must actually install the old OS to use the upgrade version.

You can install the upgrade as a normal one with a registry hack, but yes, it need an already installed OS to activate. I upgraded once, now, I'm fresh installing with the registry. It saves you lot of time that having to install an OS twice.
  4. Best answer selected by velif.
  5. This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Computers Windows Vista