Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Getting a copy of windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
October 10, 2011 8:57:44 PM

I'm thinking of building my own computer and I was wondering if it would be possible to buy an old unboxed Vista or XP OS and then buy the windows 7 upgrade so as to save some money. Windows 7 costs around 100$ retail but the upgrades are only around 30$. What stops people from doing what I'm proposing?

More about : copy windows

October 10, 2011 9:24:45 PM

I think because it is messy if you need to rebuild your system, you would need to install vista, then 7.

Not sure if you can upgrade from xp to 7
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2011 9:25:32 PM

velif said:
I'm thinking of building my own computer and I was wondering if it would be possible to buy an old unboxed Vista or XP OS and then buy the windows 7 upgrade so as to save some money. Windows 7 costs around 100$ retail but the upgrades are only around 30$. What stops people from doing what I'm proposing?

I would guess that most people wanting W7 already own XP. I don't see anything wrong with your plan provided you buy a legitimate copy of XP or Vista. My understanding is that you must actually install the old OS to use the upgrade version.
Related resources
October 10, 2011 9:33:06 PM

ram1009 said:
I would guess that most people wanting W7 already own XP. I don't see anything wrong with your plan provided you buy a legitimate copy of XP or Vista. My understanding is that you must actually install the old OS to use the upgrade version.

You can install the upgrade as a normal one with a registry hack, but yes, it need an already installed OS to activate. I upgraded once, now, I'm fresh installing with the registry. It saves you lot of time that having to install an OS twice.
Score
October 17, 2011 2:25:40 AM

Best answer selected by velif.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 2:29:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!