Power supply doesent turn off after i shut down windows

my antec 850 watt true power quattro doesent turn itself off after i shut down windows xp pro. i have to hold the power button down just to turn it off or flip the power supplys on/off switch. what am i doing wrong?
7 answers Last reply
More about power supply doesent turn shut windows
  1. how long this happens, have u upgraded your hard ware
    If its ATX then is must be turnoff, if not check the cables from psu to mother board & your Cpu front panel pin connects with motherboard.
  2. how long this happens, have u upgraded your hard ware
    If its ATX then is must be turnoff, if not check the cables from psu to mother board & your Cpu front panel pin connects with motherboard.
  3. You may want to check your BIOS for the power functions - sometimes pressing the power button will just set to sleep - it is a configurable setting.

What was asked is important - how long has the been happening? Was it normal before? Motherboard? Specs of systems, etc - we need some more info to help.
  4. okie dokie here are my system specs

Windows XP Professional
    (32 bit i believe ... how do i check? always been confused about 32 bit/64 bit OS)
    ABIT AA8XE Motherboard
    Antec 850 Watt True Power Quattro ( Purchased in late 2009 )
    2x 512 MB RAM Sticks
    2x Patriot 2 GB RAM Sticks ( Purchased in early 2009 )
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS ( Purchased in early 2009 )
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gold
    Intel Pentium 4 Hyper Threading 3.8 GHz
    150 GB Hard Drive
    Large Alienware System Unit with 1 PCI slots still open

the problem started occuring immediatly after i installed the new power supply. everytime i perform a "Start" "Turn Off Computer..." "Turn Off" windows shuts down, then the monitor, keyboard, and mouse turn off like they should but the system units lights are still on and i can hear the power supply still running. i have fully reloaded windows trying to solve this problem but dont know too much about my BIOS. thank you all so much for helping me btw. what should i do next?
  5. When you go into the BIOS, look for something called "Power Management".

Just out of curiosity, why did you buy such a large PSU?
  6. OS wont have anything to do with a psu turning on/off, most likely motherboard (i.e bios). The only logical answer is to check what everyone else has said and to look around bios, anything to do with power management, how long has it been happening ??
  7. Leaving the motherboard LED lights on after you shut down is the default setting in the power management section of the system BIOS of many modern motherboards. My new Asus Sabertooth 55i did it too. It is very easy to make the led lights turn off when powering down. off. Anyone can do it. :D

When you start your pc go into BIOS and change the power management setting for led lights. Just change the setting from on/enabled to off/disabled. There may or may not be some additional led settings to choose from. Save and exit BIOS. The pc will continue startup.

While you are in BIOS also check the rest of the power management settings. Since you mentioned your psu stays on, also check power on/off settings, sleep mode settings and wake up settings.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power Shutdown Components