Should I upgrade my RAM?

Stephen72000

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hey Tomshardware, HAPPY WEEKEND! WOO

So, I recently purchased:
GTX 680 (Oh yeah)
i5-3570k (hell yeah)
and an ASRock Extreme6 (lol yeah it's okay)

I'm thinking of using the ram from my old system:

Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

I don't know whether I SHOULD or NEED to upgrade.

Main uses:
Games
Games
Games
Battlefield 3
Games
Assassins Creed
Games

So, 8GB I know is enough, no need for 16, but I've just never known enough about RAM to understand what the speeds mean and what the performance differences are.

So, any suggestions as to new ram and or why I should keep my old one are needed.

(Price range for 8GB try to keep under/near 100$)

Thanks guys you rock! :D

EDIT: I put it in this forum because this is where the cool cats hang out. XD

Solution
Hey great gear you got for yourself , that deinately earns the hell yeah and oh yeah!

Ok I wouldn't say you NEED to upgrade your ram as it does the job fine, but if you would like some more performance then you could go with DDR3 1600 or higher with lower timings, only then you will see some increase, bit it won't be massive.
DDR3 is more affordable these days and I don't believe you need 16GBs of it either, but if you just want to upgrade it cos you want a little more performance and oh yeah then go for it.
You could always look at the Corsair Vengeance or GSkill ram, those two are very popular amongst most users.
Look at either 1600 or 1866 with lower timings.

monsta

Splendid
Hey great gear you got for yourself , that deinately earns the hell yeah and oh yeah!

Ok I wouldn't say you NEED to upgrade your ram as it does the job fine, but if you would like some more performance then you could go with DDR3 1600 or higher with lower timings, only then you will see some increase, bit it won't be massive.
DDR3 is more affordable these days and I don't believe you need 16GBs of it either, but if you just want to upgrade it cos you want a little more performance and oh yeah then go for it.
You could always look at the Corsair Vengeance or GSkill ram, those two are very popular amongst most users.
Look at either 1600 or 1866 with lower timings.

Solution